Kicker motor sizing

pjprod

I run a 9.9 on my Islander. for trolling it is plenty,for getting back to port when the other engine has trouble it is strong enough to push the boat at 6mph.

With the smaller kickers you may very well have a problem with strong side winds and the boat being pushed around. You will simply not have enough power to overcome this problem.

Edited by rolmops

Something as important as hp is the shaft length. You want a long enough shaft on the kicker to provide good steering as well as not coming out of the water in wave action yet be able to get the kicker completely out of the water when underway.  This includes setting up your bracket right to accomplish this. The kicker prop should then be close to the bottom surface of the boat in length.

Edited by Sk8man

You could go with a Yammy 8 hp high thrust and that would be plenty of motor for that boat.

A lot of guys have that motor on bigger glass boats. Should keep your batterys charged, as well as less weight.

Edited by spoonfed-1

pjprod - giving you this link for a cheap place to get a brand new 9.9HP Merc Kicker. 20" Shaft, elec start, tiller, 6A alternator, etc.... It's all you'll need on your aluminum Deep-V.  I have one installed on mine.

$2200 Cash.

PM me and I'll give you the details on where to buy in NJ.

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/54953-brand-new-mercury-99hp-4s-kicker-20-elec-start/

Edited by FleetTracker

You could go with a Yammy 8 hp high thrust and that would be plenty of motor for that boat.

A lot of guys have that motor on bigger glass boats. Should keep your batterys charged, as well as less weight.

I'm with Glenn and Rich. I have a T8 on my trophy 2352 which is over 5000lbs and it has no problems pushing it even in rough seas into the wind.