Inflatable life jacket

Thinking about buying a inflatable life jacket and was wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on them, I looked at a couple different ones and there pretty pricey. I found one on E Bay it's an Onyx AM 24 for 84.00, it's  manual and water activated, does anyone know if you fish in rain or if it got splashed in the boat would it deploy, this time of year they seem to be the way to go as far as wearing all the time any pro's and cons will be helpful before I buy one. Thanks

I'm not sure of the brand but a buddy's deployed inthe rain. We still laugh about it :lol: .

I stand corrected......it triggered accidentally when it caught on something in the boat......but it was pretty funny anyway :)

Edited by Sk8man

I have three of the Cabelas inflatables which I love. The only problem I ever had was one really hot day I had one deploy while it was stowed in the hold of the boat. Other than that, I have used them in the rain with no issues.

One word of caution however, last year I was checked by the Coast Guard and was asked to produce an extra cartridge for each of the jackets. When I told the Coastie I didn't have any, he responded by telling me I would be out of compliance if one were to deploy and I couldn't recharge it while out on the water. Luckily I had regular jackets on board which met the requirements and I didn't get written up.

I was able to get mine on sale for $119.00each when they went on sale.

I have three of the Cabelas inflatables which I love. The only problem I ever had was one really hot day I had one deploy while it was stowed in the hold of the boat. Other than that, I have used them in the rain with no issues.

One word of caution however, last year I was checked by the Coast Guard and was asked to produce an extra cartridge for each of the jackets. When I told the Coastie I didn't have any, he responded by telling me I would be out of compliance if one were to deploy and I couldn't recharge it while out on the water. Luckily I had regular jackets on board which met the requirements and I didn't get written up.

I was able to get mine on sale for $119.00each when they went on sale.

I also had one deploy in a hot cabin.

I have a Mustang HIT, fits comfortable and I use it all summer when fishing alone. It will not deploy by just getting wet. It's pricey but well worth the piece of mind. I also am a bigger guy, 6'1" 240lb. I don't think they are allowed for use on kids.

Also heard that it needs to be worn not on a seat to meet the life jacket requirement. I have a bunch of spares in my boat in case so have extras.

I use Sterns, West Marine, and an Onyx belt pack when it's hot out. Also had one deploy in a hot, wet storage locker. I fish mostly alone and never ever leave the dock without using one.  I agree the best thing to do is try a few on at the store and fid the one that fits you best. They are pricey, but how much is your life worth??  We spend thousands on fishing equipment, then complain about the price of life jackets....... At least wear a belt pack if you don't like the vest style.

Here's a video of the belt pack I use when it's too warm to use a vest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB1K2wJC8Vc

Edited by J.D.

A few years ago, "Wear It New York", at Wright’s Landing in Oswego gave my wife and I 2 of the fanny belt type inflatables and never said a thing about them counting as a life jacket unless they were worn at all times. Plus, a year later we were boarded by the CG in Oswego and they never said a word about it either. Guess I'll get my old ones back on the boat