Help with spoon selection?

If you could only buy a dozen or so spoons, what would they be? I'm going to be targeting kings and steelies out of Fair Haven on Memorial Day weekend, and I've been pouring over reports from the last few years, so I know which patterns I'm going to buy. But those reports don't really mention any other specifics. I notice that different makers are putting out similarly named patterns. Which brands do you guys prefer the most? Obviously, they offer slightly different paints and shapes in their spoons. What about sizes? UV, glow, or plain?

I'm starting my collection of big water equipment from scratch, and I'm really trying to keep within a budget, for now. That will change in the future. 

For kings; Greens, purples, blacks and I'm becoming a UV convert after the past few seasons. Steelies like the brighter orange and red spoons. I've also gained an appreciation of ladder back (fish bone) patterns. The problem is, I've seen fish preference change weekly, and even daily. Last year, in the spring, there was a MS Caddy Shack UV spoon that I couldn't keep fish off of. A month later and it was all but dead. Two years ago, I could have run a 42nd spoon on every rod and caught fish all day. One year ago, I couldn't get it to move. Stick with greens, purples and black combos for kings and orange/red for steelies. Finger Lakes Tackle makes some of the most durable spoons you can get, as far as paint quality goes. Always stop at the local tackle shop and ask what's been hot. They'll tell you the truth because they want you to come back. My 2 cents.

Yeah, running through the old reports, the NBK is definitely the most successful pattern I found. Others on my list are patterns like green dolphin and wonderbread. The reports list those, and a few others as being most successful for my situation.

But the question is more about all the other particulars. These are all offered by different brands. Each of them offer different sizes and finishes. Some offer UV paint. Some offer glow paint. Those are the questions and I'm only buying a relatively small amount of spoons for this trip.

nomis I hate to break it to ya

This is a tackle whore's sport  :bandit:

I will say michigan stinger is a good place to start because they are easily accessible and have all the options you are looking for  

Edited by bandrus1

Thats the problem. I've walked through the marinas and I've seen hundreds of spoons hanging in the cockpits of boats. Problem is, one or two trips a year don't really warrant that kind of spending.

My regular spot is Lake George and I have the gear to catch lakers and atlantics all day while hopping on one foot, with an arm tied behind my back. My local tackle shop is nearly as good as any place I've been to out there and they have a full selection of Stingers. I guess I'll stick with them until I can branch out and learn a little bit more.

I love spoons but have found that constantly I get my biggest king every year off a spin doctor and a fly. May is still kinda early for that but SD can be deadly out there. As far as spoons go nk was great two years ago and last year my singers and shoehorn spoons were the best for me. Green, white and black seem to be the ticket for kings in my ara port d to Bronte on the Canadian side. Consider flashers and fly or cut bait or Mc rockets for the summer if you make a trip to lake ontario.

When you are limited in the number of spoons you have, it's easy to get caught up in trying to have hot patterns. Don't overlook that you need to have different sizes too. For someone getting started buy basic colors and be sure you have at least a few in mag, regular and smaller sizes like super slims. Likely you'll hit some of the local shops on your trip and add more.

By the time you buy special gear and spend hours or days making sure it's all working right. Then you read fishing reports til you fall asleep at your computer screen. Usually the wind changes or something else to erase all of the good info in those reports.

My advice is book a charter with a Captain that fishes that water every day. (No, not talking about me) They have all the right equipment. They know exactly how fast to run each lure, so he knows what he can run with what set up. Most Captains will be glad to show you how things are rigged and why. You'll learn way more than you will by running out on the big lake with your own stuff.

The first sign of a bad day is when you've read all the reports, and you get out on the lake, and there isn't another fishing boat in sight.

Don't forget to buy a ssw (sea sick waddler by dreamweaver or finger lakes). That and a nbk are must haves. I guarantee you will catch fish on most of the spoons you already have for lake george. Grab a couple that others have suggested and have at it!

Thanks for the advise, guys. Some good advise here. I have a good idea about the stuff I'm going to get before this year's trip. And of course, I always make daily trips to Screwy Louie's whenever I'm in town.