Newbie help

Hello all,

I am about to embark on my first boat. It is a 16' Starcraft aluminum with a 35hp engine. I know nothing about boats and a little about fishing. Here are my questions. I will predominantly stay in the bay. I MAY venture out onto the lake if it is very calm but most of my time will be in the bay. I am not a particular fisherman as far as what I go after. I just want to catch some fishies and have a bit of a fight if possible. I do not wish to catch perch or anything small like that. Bass, pike, cat whatever from there. I will mainly be using a 6 1/2' Ugly stick off the boat. What types of lures/bait should I be prepared with and where might I try them. I will say up front that I am not trying to infringe on anyones "honey spots". I just simply want to learn. I have fished from shore and piers for a few years but mostly just for fun.

Also eventually I will be puting one electric downrigger on my boat. Any help there would also be appreciated.

I am also going to be looking for a fishing partner. Here is my deal. Help me launch my boat and get it back out of the water and everything else is free. I suck at backing in and out of a launch.

I look forward to everyone's thoughts.

Ice :D

Hey iceman6409, it might help to say what port you would like to launch out of when looking for a partner. With the price of gas I imagine you won't have any trouble getting someone to jump onboard. Also, guys that are looking to get onboard will be looking at the "Open Seats/Trade a Trip" section so feel free to post your request there also. We're looking forward to the reports, good or bad, & also pics. Good luck on the water this year.