Cannon Digi-Troll 2 downrigger, are they any good?

Todd in NY

Just looking for honest opinions from anyone who has ever owned or used the older Digi-troll 2 riggers. Do they have auto-stop, how do they compare to the older Mag 10A riggers? How do they compare to the newer Digi-troll 4? Cannon doesn't have the owners manual listed on their web site so it would have to be a special request to have one made available, if that's still possible.

Hi Todd. I have the older versions. Original Digitrols.  Bought them about 5 or 6 years ago. Mine work great. One of the led readouts failed so I bought a counter and installed it. They have auto-stop and work very well. I have mine set on gimbal mounts that go into the flush mount rod holders on a Mako 201. We fish Henderson Harbor in the summer. They are easy to run. I also have the PDF file if you want it.

Mitch.

I got two Digitroll 2's in 1988 and ran them until around 2000.  They share many parts with Mag 10A.  The control module is a sealed unit and hasn't been available for a long time.  Cannon used to make a kit to convert these back to a Mag 10A shortstop and I had one of mine done when key pad failed.  Biggest issue today for these is limited parts- go to Fish 307's site and the Cannon pre 2006 rigger section and you can check to see what is and what isn't available.  By todays standard they were slow however it's surprising how many are still working @ 25 to 30 years old.  

Thanks 580! I have some older Mag 10A's and they are slow but steady. I'm not a charter captain, so they get limited use every year. I hope they keep on working. I don't like the price of new riggers because its not my livelihood.

I have a Digitroll ii and they do have autostop and it works fine just as do my Mag 10A's despite years of use (but not abuse). They are very good downriggers and reliable despite not being speed demons :)

Edited by Sk8man

I have 4 of them I bought used about 12 years ago.  $900  for all from someone that thought they were too complicated.  Run well.  Had one display go last year.    I like the fact that I can progam the depth and let it run down while I am doing something else.  They also have the timed up and down cycling within a set distance like 10 ft or so.  use it sometimes but never really noticed a improvement in releases.   Retrieve is auto stop but it is not a short stop that detects disconnect of cable from water, it is an actual count up of pulley rotation.

I have 4 of them I bought used about 12 years ago.  $900  for all from someone that thought they were too complicated.  Run well.  Had one display go last year.    I like the fact that I can progam the depth and let it run down while I am doing something else.  They also have the timed up and down cycling within a set distance like 10 ft or so.  use it sometimes but never really noticed a improvement in releases.   Retrieve is auto stop but it is not a short stop that detects disconnect of cable from water, it is an actual count up of pulley rotation.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know you could program all of that on the digitrolls. Never used them before, not even on someone else's boat.

That is a real good point about the difference between the autostop and short stop feature as the autostop on it doesn't always come totally  to the surface or out of the water like the short stop and that can be important if you have a good fish near the surface as you can still get hung up on the weight just below the surface. I have the drag on my 10A's (non-short stop or autostop) set so that they can run all the way up to the tip of the riggers and then they just slip while there until I get to them....helps when fishing solo.

• 4 weeks later...