Launch date?

I'm curious- when does everyone launch for the year? With the bay being completely clear and my boat being completely ready (for once) I am really itching to get her in the slip. I have been checking the extended forecast and see no temps below ~31. I know a lot of charters do April 1 as a target... Am I nuts for wanting in?

This is just my opinion...... I prefer to leave my boat in this time of the year rather then trailing it. When the boat is in the water and the temp hits 20 degrees at night the outdrive or the lower unit on the outboard is gonna only get as low as the temp of the water it is sitting in. when the boat is in the driveway any water trapped from running it the day before is gonna freeze because if the air 20 now the temp of the engine block and the outdrive is 20. If i have to run an I/O this early in the year and I have to take it home I will run an extension cord and drop a simple shop light into the engine hatch. It is plenty to keep the risers warm.  When I had the boat down the shore I used to leave the boat in year round with bubblers. I never had a problem. 

I would wait until mid April.  One year, I put my boat in April 1st and it was not fun.  I had to go down and shovel 6" of wet heavy snow off the boat.  My big worry was the weight of the snow on the canvas. 

I would wait until mid April. One year, I put my boat in April 1st and it was not fun. I had to go down and shovel 6" of wet heavy snow off the boat. My big worry was the weight of the snow on the canvas.

I remember doing that in early May one year. Shoveled the deck so the charter could get on. Went out and limited early. 1991 I think.

your not nuts abe, just a slight case of salmon fever, take two fishing trips and call me in the morning ! I was one of the first boats in at sodus for nearly 30 years. as long as the ice is off the bay you are fine, but you have to babysit her for high spring winds at the dock and deep freeze at night. once your in the water you should be good down to about 28 degrees for short periods. any more or any longer you will need to drain the block or add heat to the bilge. Tie up every day for gale winds at the dock. Dynamic fronts bring some of the most volatile winds of the season. All that considered, it's worth every minute to get in those early trips before the traffic gets heavy.  good luck,  Doug

your not nuts abe, just a slight case of salmon fever, take two fishing trips and call me in the morning ! I was one of the first boats in at sodus for nearly 30 years. as long as the ice is off the bay you are fine, but you have to babysit her for high spring winds at the dock and deep freeze at night. once your in the water you should be good down to about 28 degrees for short periods. any more or any longer you will need to drain the block or add heat to the bilge. Tie up every day for gale winds at the dock. Dynamic fronts bring some of the most volatile winds of the season. All that considered, it's worth every minute to get in those early trips before the traffic gets heavy. good luck, Doug

Thanks Doug. If you ever get the itch to go out let me know, I'd love to have you (and pick your brain!)