Aluminum boat hull

I had a 20' Crestliner that I did not paint the bottom and it was a chore to clean off in the fall. I now own a 28' Marinette aluminum cruiser. I paint the bottom every year with a thin coat of Interlux Trilux 33. Made for aluminum. Other bottom paint contains copper which is bad for aluminum. I hope this helps

Brian

I presume you have an Islander that is at least a couple years old.  If that is the case, I have done two older aluminum boats by just cleaning the bottom and painting with fine results-no peeling paint etc.  I still own one of the boats that I did paint way, again no issues.

So the answer is yes, you want to make sure you purchase paint that is for aluminum boats as mentioned in the post above.  If your boat has one of the anodes on the transom, you want to make sure you do not paint over that anode.   

I kept my 1989 islander in mexico slip all season.. I waxed it before putting in .. It came out cruddy and I before storing. It was a chore but scotch brite pads, pressure washer , simple green and tons of elbow work took the crud off , the rivet areas are tough.

I thought about anti foul paint only due to electorally corrosion.. Even with anodes, I still see it happening. 

Good luck

Did some more research and it looks like it works good over existing hull paint. I have pressure washed her. Should I clean it with some kind or cleaner to remove the remaining scummy junk before I paint the hull? If so what should I use. I do see there is a hull cleaner but have found many ideas on line. I was gonna wipe it down with paint thinner call it good and paint it. Any more thoughts or suggestions?