Cayuta lake

floatfisher

Just wondering if anyone knows the lake conditions on Cayuta?  I was thinking about heading out there with the boat and going after some pan fish with my son and cousins boy.  I don't think there would be anymore ice left and it will give me an opportunity to run the boat just a little.  Any reports on fishing there would be helpful also.  If I get out I will report how we make out.

Thanks,

Mike

Heard the perch cycle was good this year. I also was going to try it out but I had concern about eating the fish. They add weed treatment to the lake from my understanding. Not sure how it effects the fish health. Good Luck if you try. Pm me if you give it a try.

-Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike.  So I took my son out on Saturday and this is how it went....

Read the forecast and there were to be light and variable winds and we found the wind blowing out of the north but not bad.  We also saw that they did not put the dock in yet but we managed fine.  We motored out with the trolling motor and then tried the big motor.  Started up just fine for the time out this year!  We motored over the area around the inlet and almost as soon as the minnow hit the water a bass hit.  My son landed 3 and I landed 2 all on minnows.  As far as the panfishing went, we just could not get the fish to take the minnows in far enough to get a hook in them.  We had a lot of hits and fish on for brief periods of time but did not land very many.  I tried to switch to plastics but the wind picked up and changed directions on us.  Every time we started to drift through the spot we were hooking up we had to change the "drift".  We ended the day with a few crappies and a couple perch.  Let them all go this time, hoping the gods will smile on us next time out.  I am sure we would have caught more if the wind was as calm as was forecast?  As for leaving the wind changed direction again and was out of the south pushing the boat to shore.  This along with no dock made it interesting.  Not sure if he is on here or not but thank you the kayaker that helped me load my boat!  He was wearing waders and made things a lot easier, my son thanks you too!!

As far as the weed treatments go, I am not sure about the effects on the fish and if it would harm you for eating them?

Not sure how weed treatment builds up into the fish. I'm sure there are a few on here that probably would know. Hip waders saved me a few times this year launching with my canoe. I need a smaller one but it reminds me to work on my bass boat... get it fixed, get it over...

Any place worth fishing from shore down there? I might bring the canoe down on a day it's glass like Saturday was.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I got into stream mode for a bit.  Not much shore access there.  But there is a little near the launch, the only problem is it is shallow.  You could possibally catch fish from shore there.

You can launch canoes and kayaks from there with no problem.  it is not much of a launch actually.  Especially now with out the dock in.

I may try it again back over there in a week or so.