GPS Mapping on new Combos

I've read through most of the previous threads on new gps combo units and, rather than hijack the sonar threads, I decided to start new. Many units allow you to update/create detailed 1 foot contour maps wherever you happen to fish.  Some you have to download to a card and send in, some allow you to save right on the depthfinder, but are limited to 8 hours.

My present unit, Lowrance elite 5 (non DI), won't recognize a Navionics platinum card so I'm stuck with 6 ft contours. I've got a 15 dollar Navionics app on my droid phone that gives me sonar maps that are 1 ft contour. That is a whole different world down there.

I want to do my own logging and create my own maps for specific areas I fish, but still will use an updated map card scout new areas.

A lot of this is new this season. Does anyone see something that stands out?  Been to Bsss Pro and West Marine to see and touch, but haven't nailed it down yet.

Past units owned:

Mach 1 - still have it on the shelf..loved the smell

Humminbird 4 ID -still on the boat, use for surface trolling speed

Lowrance LCX Black and White ...has my best waypoints 

Lowrance  elite 5 --nice little unit, will probably be moved to other boat.    ​   

Edited by Prof T

If you are thinking about going the way of the mobile device with an app (I have been using my iPads for about 5 years), you can go to Sonar Server ( http://sonarserver.com/us/product/sonar-server-nmea0183/ ) and search around to see if your current fish finder is compatible with their adaptor thru your NMEA. It will allow you to use your current system to create up to date bathymetric maps for the mobile device. I believe there are a couple other companies that may be also available- technology is getting cheaper, and it's dang cool.

ProfT,

Easy to transfer you're waypoints from LCX to Elite. To get the 1ft contour without a Platinium is also something you can get with the Elite; 1st the unit needs to run the latest software version and you need the new Navionics+ and if you already own a Navionics or a card from any other company you can get a Navionics Update at 1/2 price and unlock the Update with the old acrd and that Update become a Navionics+.

The new Navionics+ and Update are 16gig and contain all the Canadian & US water, the only thing you need to do is to register you're new card within 60 days from purchase and download the Sonarchart HD layer on the region you are fishing.