seth green rig

ya my Uncle Tom

Off topic but I have to comment on Tom.  One of the most honest, nice fellas I`ve ever met.  Definitely the toughest guy I ever knew.  Over the years Tom processed a small mountain of deer for me.  About 15 years ago I sold him a thermocline rig, a green 6 1/2 footer w/ a penn 49m.  Maybe you inherited it.

The connections made on this forum are in believable another reason this is such a great sight. Me and dmargeit run our rigs side by side all the time (which I believe is the rod your describing hop but I'll let Dylan talk on that) however his is set up with 50lb big game braid the whole way like he mentioned and mine is set up with 100ft of 25lb maxima mono with beads every 10ft from the bottom going up to 70ft so I can skip a bead chain and run a lure a little higher if I want which helps take a lot of bows and landlocks. There is about 18 inches of 15lb mono from bottom bead to the weight in the event of a hang up. At the top of the mono I have a bead that connects the mono to heavy dacron. Also can connect a jug here if I needed to. The 20ft into the Dacron there is another bead chain for a jug as well after that I have a few marks to help judge depth. That's just the way I was taught to do it from my dad which goes on to show how traditional the Seth green rig is and how everyone has there own twist. I run 5 10ft 12lb floro leaders but instead of using spring clips like most I use good locking snap swivels that go through the eye of the bead chain.

But as I was saying about my rod vs dmargeits is that even though we have much different approaches with our rigs BOTH catch a lot of fish but for some reason that we have yet to figure out for some reason one day the braid will out do the mono and the next the mono will out do the braid

Hey hop thanks for the kind words about my uncle was a tough loss I've used the rig I think your describing it had steel wire the whole rig with beads instead of bead chains with Dacron backing behind it we have since lost the wire broke off the Dacron but still have the rod

fishmaster -Yes Seth and I went to Middle School together and he told me back then in 18 hundred something never to use Power Pro braid for my rig lines....I should have listened to him :lol: When I mentioned the Seth green rig being used on Keuka I was talking about its start in being used in the conventional way it is today ((i.e. vertically in the water column with horizontal leaders) but you are correct that the concept itself originated before that point of use. :yes:

Edited by Sk8man

what does everyone use for the top line on their seth green rigs? I have used lead core but would like to try something else.

Top Line refers to the length of line from your TOP lure connection to the Rod tip or to the Float if you are float rig fishing.

I normally use 30 ' spaces...then do the math with your speed/current and angle..30 feet of TOP line may only add 10 feet of depth on a 45 degree angle....but then I :rofl:  got an "D" in math...all depends on your line type,speed..weight on bottom,,size of spoons..flutter is best..less drag. and spool up like Sk8man has it laid out...

Then go...vary your speed...keep the net handy!

Tight lines.!

"I :rofl:  got an "D" in math." It wasn't my best subject either Jim :lol:  I think I learned a bit more from Seth Green than the math stuff :)

Edited by Sk8man