Bear creek Planner boards

No,,I dont OWN the lake.The lake is for Everyone to enjoy...After all,fishing is Fun,...FUN ! 

So we get on the water and a beautiful fiberglass white hull( no names mentioned,,,we could not read the name anyway,,,the boat was too far.But their planer boat was 12'oclock and comming in!)Head on!

It reminds me of coming upon the fat lady in the narrow aisle in Wal-Mart....I do NOT want to go cheek to cheek with her,,,even though her cart and 3 foot Buttocks is blocking that small piece of real estate blocking my reach for my favorite product....Moving closer and almost making eye contact,..I half motion I need to reach past her and please grab just one small item off the shelf.....Now she sees me Clearly violating her "space"..before she can crush me between the cart the shelf,,I quickly exit, her dead on glassy eye Glaze.  I sheepishly opt to go Back Later!! Safer that way and no conflict.

Back to the lake where the planer boards,,are,at least 50 yards abeam of this nice boat and on both sides of the boat....doing some fuzzy math and add in the gracious beam,,,they are spread out a good 100yards...planer to planer...jeeezzz. 

I know you HAVE to get 3 lines on..you need that kind of length...but ..really.?

Passing another beautiful white fiberglass Hardtop,...they had an impressive spread as well..

The difference is that boat had their planers within a "throw of a Tennis ball"  ...25yds..? Maybe.

Thus allowing many other boats to pass within each other...or get by the fat chick in Wally world without going cheek to cheek.Allowing everyone to hit the depth we all are trying to troll over.

No,,I don't own the lake and all I want is some fun and a few fish....without the chuckin and jiving to avoid large spreads like that of today..

I am sure you killed the fish,,we did too,! With a much smaller and easy to manage spread.

Tight Lines,! Plenty of Fish and a Big Azz Lake.

Funny story sad but true

yesterday out of Oswego I had a boat troll up to me very fast (twice my speed)

he pass on my port side and his planner board was no further than 50 feet away

The slob had the entire lake but had to come in that close

Cant wait for more boats to join the fun

I had a boat with clients aboard a few years back, out of sodus,push me into shore with his spread. As my dad frantically tried to reel in the starboard planer to avoid going board to board. We missed him but we had to go in so shallow so fast we had one hell of a mess to get out of the lines. The charter didn't even try to give us room or avoid us. Some people have no respect. Had a great day on the water with my father and son just the same..

Hey guys, I've been on the other side of that kind of fiasco. Had a new guy and his grandson on the boat so not much help with boards and lines. To add to the problem,

the wind came up making the lake rough and I turned to help them do something, don't even remember what now but it took longer than I realized and

I let my boat get too far to starboard and actually bumped a guy's boat with my starboard board. Talk about feeling stupid and looking like a green amateur. At that

point, not much to say except sorry and get my board reeled in closer 'til we got away. I guess you'll just have days like that.

Had this same issue (as I'm sure most have) last year with a boat that was up from Michigan of all places and they had 4 guys (none of which were driving) but all facing the back of the boat and even after catching my board with there board (that were made with 2x6s I might add :thinking: ) they were oblivious that they had hooked my board :headbang:  and even asked " having any luck" :devil:  they tangled my lines so bad that one got sucked into my prop and cut the seal that I might add was brand new ($200)

Just have to really pay attention, make sure they see you even if it means yelling or getting on a radio and remember there's more water after you pass them :yes:

How about that Syracuse win last night??

I gave up combat trolling in 6 fow. Our boat won't get dumped until May and there's more room on the water. April is too busy with other things anyway.

With the exception that both boats didn't give way and pass each other I don't see the problem? I usually tell my brother to take the deeper water when coming head on with another boat in the Spring. I don't want to be pinched inside and lose gear.

Some boats run 2 lines, 3 lines, and some even 4 lines off a board this time of year. Spreading those lines out gives you less chances for tangles. In clear water situations sometimes spreading them out helps get baits away from the boat to spooky fish. Are we supposed to measure our board lines and set limits on the Lake for how wide we can set them out? That's silly. Obviously, in heavy traffic situations closer is better, but that hasn't hit yet because not many boats are in the water.

We weren't at Bear Creek yesterday, so I don't think you're talking about us. Saturday when we fished Hughe's to Bear Creek we hardley saw any boats.

It might be just a psychological effect but it is why I mainly use outriggers in the Spring  and I have bands of fluorescent tape on them.so they can be seen from a distance....seems to minimize the folks coming too close and most of the time I see them change their path real early....nothing is guaranteed out there though :lol:

Its not that difficult...in a head on situation, boats should pass Port to Port.

AND no boat shall force another into shallower water/danger.

So that boils down to...Going East gets the Beach and going West goes around and deeper...

On the South Shore of the Lake...

As far as spreading boatds way out, that falls into courtesy.

I wasn't out there but I have an idea who was.

Edited by Broadhorizons

rule of thumb,,,,If you cannot throw a tennis ball and HIT the planer..its too Far! by the way...I catch more fish behind the boat...than on the planer...therefore,I only run ONE side board.....just sayin...a little courtesy could go along way...thats all.

Chop one off.

Simple.

Agree with Glen, don't you keep a sharp knife around? In all seriousness though I can run 3 or 4 per side without that much board line out. The more line you let out the harder it is to run the clips down the line anyway.

I wondering if it was the same boat that came out of the chute, set down inside of us and put boards out . We were running the 8 ft. Contour at that time , thought maybe a charter captain would run ahead or circle behind before setting up ??? Oh well we still pounded up on them even after moving out and slowing down for awhile.

OK I'm going to date myself, remember the ESLO spring derby days when the water was no where as clear as it is today. The fish would stay close all day long for the temps. The 4 days of the spring derby had every boat inside 50' with boards to the shore, me included, made for some quick actions, but as said it was fun!

No,,I dont OWN the lake.The lake is for Everyone to enjoy...After all,fishing is Fun,...FUN ! 

So we get on the water and a beautiful fiberglass white hull( no names mentioned,,,we could not read the name anyway,,,the boat was too far.But their planer boat was 12'oclock and comming in!)Head on!

It reminds me of coming upon the fat lady in the narrow aisle in Wal-Mart....I do NOT want to go cheek to cheek with her,,,even though her cart and 3 foot Buttocks is blocking that small piece of real estate blocking my reach for my favorite product....Moving closer and almost making eye contact,..I half motion I need to reach past her and please grab just one small item off the shelf.....Now she sees me Clearly violating her "space"..before she can crush me between the cart the shelf,,I quickly exit, her dead on glassy eye Glaze.  I sheepishly opt to go Back Later!! Safer that way and no conflict.

Back to the lake where the planer boards,,are,at least 50 yards abeam of this nice boat and on both sides of the boat....doing some fuzzy math and add in the gracious beam,,,they are spread out a good 100yards...planer to planer...jeeezzz. 

I know you HAVE to get 3 lines on..you need that kind of length...but ..really.?

Passing another beautiful white fiberglass Hardtop,...they had an impressive spread as well..

The difference is that boat had their planers within a "throw of a Tennis ball"  ...25yds..? Maybe.

Thus allowing many other boats to pass within each other...or get by the fat chick in Wally world without going cheek to cheek.Allowing everyone to hit the depth we all are trying to troll over.

No,,I don't own the lake and all I want is some fun and a few fish....without the chuckin and jiving to avoid large spreads like that of today..

I am sure you killed the fish,,we did too,! With a much smaller and easy to manage spread.

Tight Lines,! Plenty of Fish and a Big Azz Lake.

Next time take pictures front, side, aft, and name of boat if possible so we all know you we are dealing with.  I believe I know who you are referring to as they a usual Bear Creek boat that thinks he owns the area

Idea, Gentleman's agreement, If you have a LOU sticker, or reading this keep your boards at _______ ft?

fill in the blank

60' each, works pretty good for me, 20' between lines

Yesterday I ran my board lines shorter than I have in the past and caught just as many fish. And it was easier to do a u-turn. I try to plan ahead as I come into traffic. Pick a clear way out of a disaster before it happens. Even if it takes you out of the desired path/depth. And as you saw those weird turns might just generate a strike. It wasn't bad yesterday. I've been in the middle of the fleet in Oswego with 50 other boats in every direction imaginable. Now that's a cluster!!