New Truck

tom146306

I bought a 2006 F-150 last year with the 4.6 liter v8 and it tows my 2000 pound boat just fine.If you can afford it go with the Toyota.A much better truck in my opinion but a much bigger price tag.Some of my friends have 2 wheel drive fords and they cant keep front tires on them.The salesman that sold me mine told me that they have that problem with them.Mines 4 wheel and i havent had any trouble yet.Hope this helps

Tom, you might want to think ahead and go with a F250 (3/4 ton) & that way if you get a bigger boat in 1 or 2 years you'll already have the truck to tow it. A 1/2 ton will do just fine for 1500lbs, but if you go bigger it's nice to have the proper suspension & a lot easier towing. Just a thought. ;)

i have used 5 different siliverado 5.3 ltr chev 1500 (1/2 ton) trucks

to tow a 2359 trophy about 5000 lbs plus equip/trailer etc. never had

any prob. I believe there rated for 8500 lbs.

john :)

In one year? :P Time to get a Ford. :P

My '02 F-150 Ext.cab w/5.4 is rated to pull 8000 lbs., but I'd never try it! I do pull about 4000 with it very nicely.. you know it's there, but it handles it well. I did use my buddy's '06 GMC Deisel Dually once to pull it last year. That's a tow vehicle! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

After 30 years of owning Ford 150s & 250s I got totally disgusted with the quality and lack of support from ford when issues occurred. I 2003 I bought a new Tundra extended cab 4wd with the Iforce v8 - it is a superior truck.

It tows my 20' Crestliner ( about 2500#) like a dream and easily handles my 7000# dump trailer . It is far superior in creature comfiorts and as smooth as a car on the road.

I love the lines of the Ford and would still be driving in if they bothered to build them decent but they want too much money for what they deliver

At this point I will stay with Toyota

I cant say enough good things about toyota. I recently got my first truck and went with a 2000 4runner. It has plenty of power and tows painlessly, Last season I bought a 21 ft Lund and the trailer has surge brakes which makes all the difference. My father and brother have always owned american trucks and I got my lesson watching them being fixed all the time.

I have always gone through the Consumers reports guide to used cars and trucks for any of my vehicles. The tundras are solid trucks if your looking for a pick up, and reasonable priced in 2wd but I wouldnt skimp on the 4wd. It will be worth it when you need it! Find exactly what your looking for and find it, be patient.

This past Dec I bought my 6th new Dodge truck since 1984. Two were 3/4 ton trucks, and one of them had the Cummins. Since 1998 I've had Quadcabs, 1998, 2002 and now a 2006. The 3/4 tons I had when I ran my own business, and since 1998 I've wanted the comfort. All of my Dodge's have treated me excellent, that's why I've stayed with them. The new truck has the Hemi that runs on less cylinders when not under a load. It gets better milage than my 2002 with the 4.7 motor. The Hemi has 100 more HP plus the torque is way above the 4.7 also. Can't wait for spring to hook up my Wellcraft and see how she does.

Thanks for all the great infomation. After talking to dozens of car sales folks, you never know who to believe.

My dad has dodge truck that has been a real work truck, but it hard to get away from ford when they seemingly a have a truck commercial every 10 minutes.

Car shopping is the greatest sport ever invented.

On my 2nd tundra since 2000. I use up pickups. Ran 160000 on the first one got almost 80000 on this one. Never even changed a lightbulb. The 4 wheel drive is bulletproof. I use it most everyday. Not only does it pull the boat ..It stops the boat.Look in ocupations s of LOU members . He is towning me up to the woods with a log skidder so I dont have to carry saws.Just another day.

I have a 2005 Chevy 1500 with an extended cab. It has the 5.3 small block V8 in it. I have towed my dads boat from Sodus with no problem. On the highway I get over 19MPG, which aint bad for a full size four wheel drive truck. I pulled my 17' bass boat from Ticonderoga to Rochester on one tank of gas too. I would really reccomend looking at these trucks. gas mileage is good and they ride real nice.

im with yankee. this years silverado is motor trends truck of the year. i have an 02 silverado with 150000 (trading it in this spring for a new one). its been a great truck i wouldnt consider buying anything else.

I cant stress how nice 4 wheel drive is. Especially at the ramps. If you go 4 wheel drive, you will never drive another two wheel drive vehicle again. I love Fords and have always had excellent luck with them. I use them as a work truck and virtually beat the heck out of them. However, I do not agree with some of the groups that Ford have chosen to endorse and I may have to go to a Toyota or Chevy.

I have a Chevy Silverado 1500. I tow my boat and my wifes camper with it. The camper is bigger than the boat at about 6000 pounds. The truck does a great job. I do not even feel the boat back there. I own a 19' Smokercraft. This is my third Silverado. The fist two were company owned trucks. I liked them so much that I went out and bought myself one when I left the company. My father had owned Fords and my brother had a Dodge. Now we all have the Chevy. A great riding truck.

Richard

Also own a Chevy Silverado 2500 H.D. Pull my 24' Penn Yan as well as my 29' trailer that is pushing 10,000 lbs. This truck does an awesome job, only thing I regret that it is with the 4.10. I believe that is standard however with the H.D. My next truck will be a H.D. as well, for it has been very reliable with close to 75,000 miles on it.

I've got a 2004 Ford F150 Ext Cab 4x4 with the 5.4L. It tows my boat, about 6000 lbs loaded, very nicely. I also towed by brothers 19ft. bayliner, fully loaded, from South Carolina to New York, through the mountains. Did very well on gas mileage for towing (about 15 mpg). I've never had a problem with the Ford and have no complaints about the service I've received. The 4x4 is great to have, especially on those wet, slippery ramps covered in seaweed.

Similar to Shellback. My last 4 have been Dodges (1995, 1997, 2001 and 2005) and they have all been absolute tanks for me. I put on a lot of miles and use em pretty hard and they have never let me down. My current one is an 05 2500 quad cab deisel 4x4. I got it on Aug 27, 2005 and rolled 43000 over the weekend. No issues at all, only put a new set of sneakers on it and regular oil changes/maint. I trailer my 24' Thompson Hardtop (approx 8000 lb on the trailer) just about every weekend from colden NY to Olcott (approx 120 mi rounds trip) and it barely even feels the boat.

Tim

Alright - I'll chime in for the Nissan Titan. 4wd w/the tow pkg. rates it to pull 9000 lbs. Took the boat on family vacation to Schroon L. in the adirondacks last year and the Titan pulled the boat through the mountains without a hiccup, passing just about everyone the whole way (Dodge's and Ford's mostly :lol: )

Like the new Silverado's though - probably be going back to Chevy in a few years.

DAN