Linking Baystar Hydraullic to kicker

salmonite

I am upgrading my steering to hydraulic on a 125hp merc and currently I have an EZ steer which will work but I don't like having the tie bar behind the motors. I would prefer it in the front so I can detach if needed. My question is anyone have ideas on how to do that?  I believe baystar has a connection tie but don't think it works on the baystar (up to 150hp) kits.  I also don't want to drop more money on a Garmin tr1 auto pilot kicker or the wireless steering from panther.

Edited by salmonite

I have two female rod end bearings with a piece of stainless threaded rod between. Inexpensive and can make any necessary length with some final adjustment. McMaster Carr has them. Can do it for

about $30

Search "panther auxiliary Motor Connector Rods" in Goggle Images and you'll see pictures of various connections. You should find a couple that would be similar to your setup.

Search "panther auxiliary Motor Connector Rods" in Goggle Images and you'll see pictures of various connections. You should find a couple that would be similar to your setup.

Yeah I have done that but like I said most pictures are for the "seastar unit" and not the bay star (under 150hp). Called seastar and they told me to call marine tech, called marine tech and they had no clue what baystar is.. ugh

I used 2 large band clamps some rubber, and some straight aluminum stock to make my mounts and wrap around the mid section of my large outboard and my kicker. I don't have any pictures I will try and find something similar. It looks like the photo below but mine is around the mid section just under the cowling.

ez-steer_0.jpg

Edited by Chas0218

Here is a link to the one I used, I couldn't remember the name of it.

http://www.iboats.com/Kicker-Motor-Steering-Connector-Kit/dm/cart_id.911686139--session_id.270533095--view_id.37928

This is the one pictured above. If you scroll down you will see panther makes a L bracket to adapt the hydraulic steering to your kicker.

http://www.iboats.com/E-Z-Steer-Auxiliary-Outboard-Steering-Systems/dm/view_id.38357

Edited by Chas0218

I have a hunch that the connector fittings may be upside down on that installation in the pic. Mine are facing upward so that when you disconnect the rod you just lift up the rod when releasing from the boat when necessary. I should think it would also be easier to drop the rod in the water with them pointing downward as has been done reportedly by folks on here. I'd be interested in an experienced marine installers take on it.

I have a hunch that the connector fittings may be upside down on that installation in the pic. Mine are facing upward so that when you disconnect the rod you just lift up the rod when releasing from the boat when necessary. I should think it would also be easier to drop the rod in the water with them pointing downward as has been done reportedly by folks on here. I'd be interested in an experienced marine installers take on it.

I agree I think you are right. Mine are facing up.

Yeah I have done that but like I said most pictures are for the "seastar unit" and not the bay star (under 150hp). Called seastar and they told me to call marine tech, called marine tech and they had no clue what baystar is.. ugh

Salmon,....it doesn't matter what type of steering you have to use that steering bar. I have a BayStar system like you and all I did was use the clamp that comes with the unit to attach to the steer arm on my main. Depending on the geometry of your setup you may have to fabricate a plate or extension to give you full steering movement without hitting anything.

There are many different transom layouts out there and some self fabrication/adaptor may be needed. We can better advise you if you post a picture of your engine set up.

Here is a pic showing the attachment at the main engine like the way I did it.

post-139511-0-27765700-1459450406_thumb.png

Salmon,....it doesn't matter what type of steering you have to use that steering bar. I have a BayStar system like you and all I did was use the clamp that comes with the unit to attach to the steer arm on my main. Depending on the geometry of your setup you may have to fabricate a plate or extension to give you full steering movement without hitting anything.

There are many different transom layouts out there and some self fabrication/adaptor may be needed. We can better advise you if you post a picture of your engine set up.

Here is a pic showing the attachment at the main engine like the way I did it.

ok, so you never actually used the adapter that marine tech makes? it was my understanding that picture you showed was the set up for cable steered boats and the shaft on baystar doesn't move enough to hook it up that way but I will give it a try

Thank you!

Edited by salmonite

Can you guys possibly throw a pic on this thread showing how it is attatched. I have a Honda 150 with sea star hydraulic steering and I'm wondering if I could hook it up better. The Honda has a front extension that the ball stud screws into but I'm afraid that if I oversteer it will interfere with the hydraulic steering. Thanks, Paul.