Flea resistant main line suggestions?

Hello all! I was running Bloodrun Seaflee for the past 2 years and need to change my main lines before season this year. Bloodrun is out of the bulk spools until July, so I am looking for suggestions on what everyone uses for line and how the fleas do with it? I have a dozen or so rods that need respooled so buying the little sea flee spools Bloodrun has really isn't cost effective.

Thanks!

A lot of people claim that 30lb mono will suffice. That has not been my experience. Maybe upping to 40lb would do the trick??? Even Sea Flea isn't as effective as the Cortland Flea Flicker used to be. I guess going with heavier mono is the only option.

Cody if it were me I'd just strip off a few yards of the Sea Flee and keep going with it unless it is in real bad shape and wait for the bulk spools if still needed. When the fleas are really thick out there nothing is foolproof. I know some folks swear by the 30 lb Big Game and make the assumption that line diameter is the critical factor but over the past few years  I  have come to realize that the concentrations of fleas (different types too) vary greatly throughout each body of water and also within the water column itself. Last year on Keuka they were so thick in spots that I couldn't even get the 150 lb test downrigger wires to come in because they were so clogged. The slippery surface of the Sea Flee line helps shed them but it too is no guarantee. I think that often some folks are trolling at different depths and different parts of the lakes (perhaps with different type of  fleas) and because the fleas vary greatly in local concentrations they assume that because they have a certain line diameter that it is working miracles when in fact they may not be going through really large concentrations or at those depths where the large concentrations are occurring. You might want to even experiment by having a couple of rods re-spooled with the 30 Big Game and leave the Sea Flee on a couple and run one of each at similar depths for the same amount of time and see for yourself which works better before committing to the expense. Just thinking out loud :)

Edited by Sk8man

I can relate to the difference in fleas. Some days there were none, other days they practically stuck to the boat. It all depends.

My current line doesn't appear to be degraded at all, but it's been a couple years. I don't abuse it at all and it isn't twisted up or sunburned. I'll probably take your advice and strip off the top 20 yards and go with it. Fresh leaders will probably be more of an investment than changing out the whole spool.

I know I can find the 30lb big game mono anywhere. If push comes to shove, I'll have a marathon respooling and pick some up at Gander to hold me over.

In my experience, when the fleas are thick, nothing will keep them off the line. My rods are spooled with 30# maxima, with leaders appropriate for my target fish. I check lines and change lures often anyways but it's definitely important to do so when the fleas are in.

I can relate to the difference in fleas. Some days there were none, other days they practically stuck to the boat. It all depends.

My current line doesn't appear to be degraded at all, but it's been a couple years. I don't abuse it at all and it isn't twisted up or sunburned. I'll probably take your advice and strip off the top 20 yards and go with it. Fresh leaders will probably be more of an investment than changing out the whole spool.

I know I can find the 30lb big game mono anywhere. If push comes to shove, I'll have a marathon respooling and pick some up at Gander to hold me over.

If the line is good... Strip line off one reel , then put the line from next reel on that..... Sounds like bloodrun has some coating on it so found this would put it on top...or just wait and replace it all taking top few yards off....

We've had great success with 25lb McCoy Mean Green. Even when we used to go to the East end, where the fleas are much more prevalent, it worked well. On the West end it seems if we get them for 2 weeks that's a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched from 20lb flea flicker to 30 lb big game. I was hesitant to do it at first, but it totally works. I have NEVER had any fleas stick to my 30 lb big game.

The main reason I went away from flea flicker is because the line twists and ultimately fails. A lot of people were warning me, and I was okay for about 1 season and thought they were all crazy. Following season I had regular (expensive) breakages. The line was still fine (no knicks, kinks, etc), just the twisting that made it weak.