Walleye in Rochester

Trick3

Hey Everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had some tips on where to catch some walleye up here in Rochester, and what techniques work best for you. Personally I like trolling but would like some more input on where to start looking for them when the time comes!

Thanks. I've thought about the river just didn't know how the fishing was there. I also heard I BAY holds walleyes too but haven't really gotten a chance to really try there. I'd like to try the lake too near Braddocks if I can get a chance. Unfortunately the wife doesn't let me out of the house for fishing as much as I'd like so finding the fish is a little tougher with the lack of time lol

Edited by Trick3

Thank you! I've been itching to get after em since the ice melted! I just started going for the perch to try to put some fillets in the freezer. Hopefully the water Temps warm up a little bit more soon. This next cold spell will probably screw them all up

Fishing in the river can be very good...As you troll up river the deepest stretches of water holds fish...your depth finder will show you this and as you get past all the marinas, the steep banks will visually tell you what side to be on...one side will look steep, while the other just a wide patch of cat-tails...if both sides have wide patches of cat-tails, go right down the middle...

You'll be going back and forth a few times as you head up river...tried it once last summer and caught a bunch up to 8 pounds...there's good fishing above the 104 bridge as well, but the route to get through is kinda narrow and there are big boulders...be very careful and trim your motor up...

I've caught them up by Seth Green island also, between the island and shore . Granted it was many moons ago. Also I tried eating one and it tasted like the river smells sometimes. Anyone else experience this? Was catching them in June.

Thanks Slimy and Steve. That's kinda gross steve but doesn't really surprise me as that river is pretty gross. And I've heard of logs and depris further up the river so I never really tried to fish it. I have enough bad luck with my boat to not wanna throw too man obstacles in my way lol. But I'm gonna have to try what you said when the time comes!

Thank you! I've been itching to get after em since the ice melted! I just started going for the perch to try to put some fillets in the freezer. Hopefully the water Temps warm up a little bit more soon. This next cold spell will probably screw them all up

You do know that walleye are not in season now right????

Canisus at night in May is good also, stay in 5-8 feet along the shore. I had luck with worm harnesses with no weight, sutton spoons with a small splishot , especially when the mooneyes(saw bellies) are spawning along the shorline. My friend always uses a F-11 rapala as long as it has a lot of silver. Looks like a mooneye. Honeoye works too.

Anybody ever center pin for them in the river? What baits??????

I've tried in some of the deeper sections with bass minnows and all I got was cats.......

not exactly center pin but we use to float night crawlers under a bobber with spinning gear and do really well on the cats and eyes. We would fish st.paul area down the big hill.

Yep, you can float fish them in the same areas steelhead are caught...

Casting shallow shad raps is also effective and haven't found a technique as productive as bouncing 1/8 ounce black and brown buck-tails tipped with half a crawler...bring a lot of jigs, rocks like to grab them as well...

It was mentioned there is a preference to troll and omitted this shore casting location and wouldn't recommend eating them...haven't heard anyone saying these river fish are good eating...

Tips that make river walleye taste way better. Cut their gills immediately and throw them on ice. Then when filleting them, cut the lateral line out. If you cut the"V" cut just right, the Lateral line will Zipper right out. It actually feels like a zipper. Then you can soak them in salt water overnight as well. Pristine, Devine Big perch fillets. Oh don't forget to fillet out the cheeks!!!!! Here's my last Susky River Eye from a few weeks ago.post-147154-0-17604500-1459547770_thumb.jpgLet her go though.These hit the pan.post-147154-0-48664700-1459547980_thumb.jpg The Muddy Susky:post-147154-0-39098400-1459548041_thumb.jpg

Don't eat the walleyes out of the Genesee or you'll start to glow.  The walleyes in the river taste like dirt.  There are a lot of them, but their taste is not good.  If you really don't believe me, then walk out on the Summerville pier.  There are usually about 6 to 12 guys out there in May and they throw them all back.  Why?  Because they taste horrible.  They'll be more then glad to give them to you.