Moor Sub troll Set up

tj13825

I would first like to say that I have read every topic using the search function to avoid asking redundant questions. If I do it is either because I still did not understand or I missed it.First I know the Moor went out of business in 2015 and will no longer manufacture the units. I know that there is a company ESG that is selling off the inventory and another company that will continue to provide service.I have an old unit that I aquired last year and it only gets the decimal but no speed/temp when I bench test it. It may be a bad antenna or probe not sure but with the recent prices I am thinking of buying a new complete unit.I am not overly concerned with buying a unit that the mfg has gone out business when I know that the units have been performing well for many years for thousands of people and that other circumstances are the reason that they unfortunately had to close their doors.The other factor is that I just don't see myself in the near future getting a X4 or other unit.

My first question is since the cable needs to be coated does that mean a stacker release cannot be used on the cable? I just bought Chamberlain releases (2 regular and 2 stacker) for my spread this year to upgrade from my roemer releases.

I do have a couple spare D/Rs should I try to rig one of them up with the speed/temp sensor and not run any lines off it? Maybe just one with the release off of the ball.

My boat is only 20' with an 8' beam so avoiding a third rigger would be ideal but it could be done running it down the chute on the back starboard corner (can't do the middle) and the other two down and out at 45/90 degrees.

I figure that the unit should last in the 5-7 year range without an issue (providing I don't lose a probe) and by then finances maybe inline to step up to a X4D or other unit but until then I think this is my best option.

Thanks in advance

Terry

Thats a shocker about Moore, I have had a few of the subtrolls for the past 20 years or so.

I have a 19' boat w 3 riggers, my Sub troll is on the rear corner and never a tangle to date with another rigger. I have had a few bare spots in the coated cable and it still works fine, I think if you can make sure you have a continuous connection for the signal to pass you should work OK, try to limit the amount of bare cable the best you can. 

I would first like to say that I have read every topic using the search function to avoid asking redundant questions. If I do it is either because I still did not understand or I missed it.First I know the Moor went out of business in 2015 and will no longer manufacture the units. I know that there is a company ESG that is selling off the inventory and another company that will continue to provide service.I have an old unit that I aquired last year and it only gets the decimal but no speed/temp when I bench test it. It may be a bad antenna or probe not sure but with the recent prices I am thinking of buying a new complete unit.I am not overly concerned with buying a unit that the mfg has gone out business when I know that the units have been performing well for many years for thousands of people and that other circumstances are the reason that they unfortunately had to close their doors.The other factor is that I just don't see myself in the near future getting a X4 or other unit.

My first question is since the cable needs to be coated does that mean a stacker release cannot be used on the cable? I just bought Chamberlain releases (2 regular and 2 stacker) for my spread this year to upgrade from my roemer releases.

I do have a couple spare D/Rs should I try to rig one of them up with the speed/temp sensor and not run any lines off it? Maybe just one with the release off of the ball.

My boat is only 20' with an 8' beam so avoiding a third rigger would be ideal but it could be done running it down the chute on the back starboard corner (can't do the middle) and the other two down and out at 45/90 degrees.

I figure that the unit should last in the 5-7 year range without an issue (providing I don't lose a probe) and by then finances maybe inline to step up to a X4D or other unit but until then I think this is my best option.

Thanks in advance

Terry

Question 1: Yes you can stack still but you run the risk of damaging the coating.

Question 2: You could run 1 rigger dedicated if you wanted but is a waste of space on your transom/gunnel.

Question 3: I have a 23' boat with 8' beam and my riggers have 4' booms. I run 3 riggers usually, 2 mid ship and 90* from the gunnel and the 3rd as close to the center as possible. The center rigger is also my probe rigger. I run the front riggers deeper than the rear rigger. Once I find the temp I run 1 side rigger below opposite in the temp and the rear above the temp.

Question 4: Mine is from the 90s and still ticking (knock on wood) they will last a lifetime not much to them that can go bad.

Here is a photo of how my riggers are setup. the other side is the same.

20130421_124234_zps609b448e.jpg

Edited by Chas0218

Terry - I use Chamberlain stacker releases on my coated Moor cable, and the damage is minimal as long as you use due care. My experience has been that I have re-terminated due to other reasons prior to the fact that I am using stacker releases.

As far as Moor being reliable, they have been for us. The only problem I have had is the speed wheel axel wore out to the point that the wheel would not spin freely anymore.