That Damb Big One

ok    The topic is " that damb big one ". Not scalewag or as some of the more culturally refined among us will say scalawag. The big one being a FISH. Perhaps I or others have been on the water too log so I'll type this  s l o w  and hopefully we all get it. Today was April 1st opening day of stream fishing. If by chance you didn't see any scalewags you are probably blessed with a great crick. ( I would like for you good stream fishermen to share your pictures of some damb big rainbow trout.)  I know some were caught. But I don't own a camera.

Well, I live about 100yds from the creek, I went and checked it out after work walking with my pin. More so. Looking for suckers. Anyways, I saw TROUT, I saw many in areas that hadn't been disturbed. Most fish I did see on the bank behind anglers were maybe, 15-18".

The water low and clear, so most fish today were probably plunked. But, the major run is over, there will be more in I am sure, but it was a successful year for a spawn, as long as most Redd's were not trampled.. When the waters this clear. I would hope guys would be weary and try to avoid them, but........

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Let's hope that the incoming snow and cold and high water will discourage scalawags from putting on their waders and keep them away from the creeks.

As for you Ahab,I am neither more cultured nor more refined than most of the others on this board,but I did do my homework in my (second language) English class.I do appreciate you typing slow, but it might be more expedient to align your thought process with that of our board readers.

Edited by rolmops

Why do you guys bash the Trib anglers so much? I live eat breathe and sleep catching fresh chrome. Myself, both my bros and brother in law landed at least 50 rainbows yesterday on a Trib out of cayuga lake. We all are pin heads that understand the name of the game. We don't keep any fish at all. 100% catch and release. All were let go to finish what they started. Many were already spawned out. So I ask myself why give us such a hard time? Yes there are a lot of people who snag and rope fish but there are many more that don't and protect them from the scumbagd who think it's cool too. I'm one who doesn't believe in calling the Dec for the scumbag who try to keep illegal fish. We have called them before and they have never showed up. We handle it ourselves. What I don't understand is when trollers catch a big bow out of the lake and kill it for some stupid tournament nobody frowns on that but God forbid a Trib person fish or even land one and let it go in a stream without having to hear the BS. What I'm saying is that not all of us Trib anglers are murders but if there's a few hundred dollars involved trollers will gladly bash a big bow in the head and throw it in a cooler? I guess that's ok? Your wrong. It is exactly the same. Your still taking a breeder fish out of the system for years to come. Not trying to start a war just speaking the facts. Oh yeah one more thing after we were done fishing last nite my fiance gave birth to our son at 11:58pm. So not only did I CATCH AND RELEASE a bunch of bows but I landed the best thing ever on opening day. Now I have a future pin head who will walk the streams and practice catch and release just like his father.

Most  of the anglers I see in the finger lakes streams are very skilled and knowledgeable at what they are doing. Very few but some are the rascals that appear to have learned there technique in the lake Ontario tribs, which is a different type of fishing. I saw some very nice fish yesterday that I think any fisherman would be proud of and would like to see pictures of more.

AND my apology for my poor communication skills but that's the way I is.   

it's important to remember that just because one releases a fish that swims away with apparent vigor doesn't mean that fish didn't die later that day - often from exhaustion (from a long fight) or from having its gills damaged (i see so many photos on this site of people who released a fish with their hands way in the fish's gills, torquing the heck out of its gill plate, and blood streaming down it). If you guys landed 50 fish, i would bet most of what i own that you killed some fish (not that that's necessarily a terrible wrong, but it is wrong to think that because you practice C&R, that you don't kill any fish).

dre

So opinions are like ... mine is that these fish are there for everyone to enjoy, legally. If you want to fish tribs do it consciously. Same with lake fishing. Its great to see that the bow population is coming back strong in Cayuga. This forum is a great place to talk about catching fish and how to do it. Lots of guys n gals love to fish, no need to argue over legal fishing. Now if someone does it illegally either way then they are the ones we should target. JMO

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well this is new but I need to apologize again in the same day.

Sorry guys I don't know what I was thinking. My April 1st exuberance got the bettor of me. I have come to my senses.

FORGET THE PICTURES !  

Stream fishing is WRONG WRONG WRONG and BAD. Anybody who isn't already corrupted by it should stay far far away. Don't even think about it.

Stick with the long lining and ripping gangs of 15 treble hooks through the schools of young salmon on Cayuga lake.

Every one goes through a learning process and hopefully learns how to minimize the unintended killing of the fish that we all enjoy

oooooooooo boy here we go

Exactly!! LOL. No one was bashing stream Fisherman. The guys that line up in one inch of water and stand over a trout are not catching that fish legally. Now could I hook that fish in the mouth sure I could. If you have enough water where you can do it right go ahead have fun that's what it's all about. I grew up on the creek and have thousands of hours of stream fishing under my belt. I've seen guys clean out holes of over 60 fish and not one was caught legally or released. But the guy on the lake dragging lines is doing more damage, give me a break. I had a one BOW limit per guy on my boat years before it ever started. If anyone can't see that fish in two inches of water are more vulnerable than they are in 200ft your blind. Sean