Hrs on motor

Wondering your thoughts???  If I have 1200hrs on my boat is that like having 60000miles on a truck,( estimating 50mph), with proper maint. is this really an issue??

I have a 5.7 with 1200 hrs, maintained right, no issues, don't expect any anytime soon, should I  ??

computer scan was great and most hrs are at trolling,  Thoughts??

Thanks Rick

For an estimation apples to apples I would use an average of 35mph over the life. As for problems I think non use would be more of a factor and moisture, running a vehicle daily is better for it then letting it sit, so there's another excuse to fish!! :lol:

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

More RPM's equals quicker wear. Now if you only run an engine at idle/low RPM the rings will wear the cylinder walls to a certain area on the engine the moment that engine see's higher RPM you could crack/break rings because that piston is actually moving further up the cylinder (rod stretch, upper and lower rod end play, piston pin play). I would run the engine how it was meant to be ran (cruising RPM) that will get you the most life out of the motor. Running WOT all the time will surely wear the engine out quicker as it is rotating more forcing the piston up and down the cylinder bore more.

Its a bit of a double edged sword. Also car engines utilize a transmission which allows the engine to be ran at a more constant lower RPM. Boat engines take a beating no matter whether they are a Inboard, outboard, or I/O, they are usually ran at the upper end of the RPM then shut down quickly (4000 rpm to idle) where a car engine is ran at the lower end (2000 rpm to idle).

My guess with a 5.7 that you have a Chevy 350 i/o or outboard. With that combination in a trolling application 1200 hours on a properly maintained engine is no problem. You probably would be surprised how high the percentage of hours are at idle or low speed trolling. I had a 5.7 that had over 2500 hours when I sold it that had never used any oil or been torn down. As the boat had gotten older I had added a kicker and the hours on the main dropped drastically. Keeping fuel clean and maintaining cooling system are bigger issue's to me than wear from use-especially if you limit your running at WOT. If reliability and hours are a big concern add a kicker.

I have a 1987 5.7 Mercruiser with about 4500 hrs and (knock wood) no problems. I have owned the boat since it was brand new so I know all the proper maintenance has been done on it. I usually cruise about 3200 rpm to and from a fishing spot so probably 95% of the hours are trolling. I change the oil every 50 0r 60 hours.

Thanks for replays and I agree with not running wot I have ask the above because I'm trying to sell my boat and as soon as they hear hrs. Wow too many. I agree proper maint. Care while running. All play a part. My last boat had 2500 on and than issue with how it was winterized. I have trucks with 150000 and still run great. Change oil often. Grease. Even when the avg guy puts 50-100 hrs a yr on a boat I think it is best to just use the main engine to troll. What's your avg per yr. hrs?

If they say too many hours then they don't have a clue what they are talking about. Many motors can go 2000+ hours. My 1988 2 stroke outboard has well over 2000 hours on it which is pretty unheard of for a 2 stroke.

You are on the right track with the oil changes and not beating them to death. Also, if they are carb motors it is very important that the carbs are maintained/tuned so they aren't "dumping gas."

I have had 3 sets of 5.7's in the past all go from 5000 to 7800 hrs before replacement or rebuild. Don't let them get hot and use ethanol free fuel whenever possible. Engine oil that has zinc(if no catalytic converter) is also a good idea.

As already stated, motors that sit idle in "dock queens" are usually much more problematic.