New to Wire Dipsy Rigs need do's and don't 101 stuff

Get a 300' tape and walk out with your wire and see what your counter says

I tried this, wasn't that bad of a walk. I used a separate line counter that counts the line that runs through it, and it was about 30 feet off at 300ft. Gonna spool mono on top then wrap the whole thing on another reel, recording when the mono ends, then wrap that much mono onto the reel and the other spool of wire I have. Thanks for the idea, didn't even think about testing it.

I'm also with Tyee Tanic and Zack and work2fish on this... the line counter becomes most important in getting back to where you were after something hits in my view. Most of the time "precision trolling" (e.g. exact depth) in this case can be a myth as the currents, varying boat speed, lure action, and the up and down motion (oscillation) of line resistance (e.g. lead core and copper especially) change the path through the water column.

Edited by Sk8man

• 4 months later...

I just wanted thank everyone for their recommendations and experience. They have made my learning curve much shorter!! We have done a few fish on the wire divers and FF set ups but not like I had hoped. I have actually taken more fish on the DR's this year.

I run 2 downriggers of the back and then 4 wire DD rigs (2 off each side all 4 are 124 Walker deeper divers on #1 and #3 settings) and then a 5 & 7 color off boards on each side. I have Walker 107mm divers and could put them on the outside but have not had any issues running all 124mm divers (could the large ones be too big?)

Is there a standard depth separation for each DD like the general rule of thumb for downrigger of keeping a 10' vertical separation? I have read all three Keating books and still have not found my answer. I know dialing in each day is different but a starting point would be helpful.

I typically spend my time inside of 200' of water. Lets say the 42-44 degree range is 125-115 my riggers would be deepest say 125 and 115 next the inside DD (124mm set @ #1) are set at 200'(with wire hoping to achieve 100' depth) and 180 (with wire hoping to achieve 90' depth). Next I set the outside 124mm DD on #3 settings also on wire at 160 and 150. I am looking to achieve a classic V pattern. Is the 150 and 160 setting too far away from the others? I have read conflicting things about the 124mm Walker divers set @#3 on wire I have read they still achieve a 2:1 ratio or half the depth to length ratio and I have read they reach 1/3 the depth. So where are my outside DD??

Again Thanks for all the tips my season is starting shape up and the crew really feels like we are becoming better trolling fisherman.

Terry

I'm also with Tyee Tanic and Zack and work2fish on this... the line counter becomes most important in getting back to where you were after something hits in my view. Most of the time "precision trolling" (e.g. exact depth) in this case can be a myth as the currents, varying boat speed, lure action, and the up and down motion (oscillation) of line resistance (e.g. lead core and copper especially) change the path through the water column.

Exactly