Pennsylvania Record

Traveling Circus

From GoErie.com

"The big news this week is a likely new state record perch. On Wednesday, a 1515/16-inch perch that weighed 2 pounds, 14 ounces was pulled from Presque Isle Bay. We are still waiting for confirmation."

Not as big as the NY record of 3 lb 8 oz (a Lake Erie fish) but a very nice fish.

Looking forward to our 1st trip of the season...... when it stops snowin' and blowin'.

From GoErie.com

"The big news this week is a likely new state record perch. On Wednesday, a 1515/16-inch perch that weighed 2 pounds, 14 ounces was pulled from Presque Isle Bay. We are still waiting for confirmation."

Not as big as the NY record of 3 lb 8 oz (a Lake Erie fish) but a very nice fish.

Looking forward to our 1st trip of the season...... when it stops snowin' and blowin'.

I saw that and saw a photo.  It's a really nice fish, but I guess I was surprised that the state record wasn't a bit bigger than that.  I don't believe I've ever caught one that size, but I've caught several that were really close to that size in NY state.  I think you'll continue to see bigger and bigger perch in Erie.  The numbers have come back and there's plenty for them to eat there.

Somewhat ironic, as the conventional wisdom of that area is for anyone who has a boat to not bother wasting time in the bay itself, but to go several miles offshore for the perch.

Somewhat ironic, as the conventional wisdom of that area is for anyone who has a boat to not bother wasting time in the bay itself, but to go several miles offshore for the perch.

I think the only exception to that rule might be in the cool/cold water periods.  Several species of fish migrate into the bay in late fall and stay until spring.  I don't think slob perch are terribly prevalent in the bay, but I seriously doubt that fish would have been there after the spawn was over