Copper vs leadcore

I am in the process of setting up two leadcore rigs(10+15 color) with the 18# cabelas line to run out on boards. I just came across a reference to doing this with copper and I was wondering what the advantages are to this technique? Also I was going to use either the blood knot for joining backing/lead core, is this the best choice?

Chowder,

Copper will achieve more depth with less line out. 300' of copper will get you down 60 -65' were leadcore is a lot shallower. Copper rigs are pricey and a little harder to work with. For attaching the leadcore to the backing, I would recommend the Albright knot.

Chowder,

Copper will achieve more depth with less line out. 300' of copper will get you down 60 -65' were leadcore is a lot shallower. Copper rigs are pricey and a little harder to work with. For attaching the leadcore to the backing, I would recommend the Albright knot.

Do you have a chart that indicates how deep each 50 of copper goes?

Is the 18# going to hold up if I get into something decent on the big O? Maybe this is a backwards way of asking how much backing I should try to get on. I got a pair of the Okuma CV 45 D, which should hold a bunch of the 30# Power Pro I have for backing , not sure what to do with the 200yd spool of leadcore- cut and go with 15 colors? It seems like if I wanted to go deeper than 15 colors I would be better off with snap weights or going to copper( which I was hoping to avoid till maybe my 2cd trolling season).

Most of the guys I know runt he 27lb core. i wouldnt put any less than 150 yards of backing on the reel. Espeically since high kings have a great fight in them. If you buy the 200yd spool go with 2 - 10's, or a 9 and an 11, or an 8 and a 12. Stinger makes a great weight that you can add to the core to achieve a little more depth. The article is in this months Great lakes angler. If you want to go below 50' I would suggest copper. Like I tell everyone whop wants in on the copper game. Buy one 600' section. Have it marked every every 50' so you can precisely put it into the strikezone.

Most of the guys I know runt he 27lb core. i wouldnt put any less than 150 yards of backing on the reel. Espeically since high kings have a great fight in them. If you buy the 200yd spool go with 2 - 10's, or a 9 and an 11, or an 8 and a 12.

or do what I did and set up a 10 color, a 5 color, a 3 color and a 2 color.........of course, that's why I have 20 rods littering my boat cabin.

Hi, My name's Tim and I'm a tackleholic!!!

Tim

If I am going to use the leadcore off boards are you kind of locked in to using all the lead core you have on the reel- which is to say, is the board always clipped to the backing? Also, I happen to have 600' roll of 7 strand 30# copper(0.028" dia.) What size reel do you have to have to spool that on,how much copper can an Off Shore (the yellow OR 12)or Church(walleye) handle? I have read that the copper is not hard on guides , is this actually true?

Chowder,

You will need a Penn 345 for 600' of copper, 300 yds of 50 lb. backing, and your leader. An offshore inline will not work on 600'. You can get away with 300' of copper with a spoon behind an offshore but it does not run that great. You also have to modify the release by adding a rubberband. You are better off running it down the chute or off of big boards.