Launched at 6:15.  Wind was south at 10.  Lake was nice and calm.  ran down to the first cove and started the day with a cookie cutter brown.  Had a couple short strikes and then took two more in front of the silos.  Swung out deeper and lost a nice one at the boat.  Weather started to role in and we started to make our way back towards the bay.  about 9 we had a release with nothing home and the rain started to pick up.  I asked my buddy what he thought and his response was Breakfast.  Before he could get that rod in the wind switched to the West at 40, hail was coming in sideways.  The 6 inch chop became 4 foot waves.  That was the quickest and worst weather i have seen in 40 years of fishing the lake.  I have a 16ft Lund with a Deep V and we were taking about every other wave over the bow.  the normal 5 minute run back to the bay took 20.  i have never been so happy to get the boat on the trailer.  When we were leaving the fire department was putting a  boat in a the marine across the channel.  There was still one boat on the water.  A boat passed us early running down to the East.  I hope he made it back OK.  it was a crazy morning for sure.  By the time we were done with breakfast is was sunny out and the wind looked like it dropped down to 15.  My clothes are still drying out. 

I have always respected the lake especially in the spring with the cold water.  That is why I stayed close to the bay and didn't go any further East.  Sure does remind you what can happen in a 60 seconds out there.  

Weather was suppose to pick up at 11.  They did not call for hail, sleet and possible death however.  I have seen some crazy weather and have gone out when it was iffy but i have never see it turn so quick and so violent.  Had we been any further East i would have put the boat in ship builders creek.  Had to do that when i was young out with my father and got caught in a quick storm but we were in a smaller boat at the time. 

I was on the other 17 foot boat (2 guys) that was out that morning, we where down by holt rd when it switched. Scariest 45 minute boat ride back ever. The guy that was out solo ditched up 4 mile creek next to hedges. 34 degree air, and 39 degree water, not a good mix to be soaked to the bone in. We went 3 for 4 from 7-9 and also hooked up as the hail came down trying to get lines in.

post-150724-14600268413561_thumb.jpg

post-150724-14600268566977_thumb.jpg

post-150724-14600268770626_thumb.jpg

Glad you made it back. When we saw the boat from the fire station launch i was worried that someone capsized. Hopefully the solo guy got our of the weather. It was crazy for sure.

Ditto, we were in the channel when fireman's boat was heading out.

Thank you very much for reminding me why I bought an Islander and why it has 2 bilge pumps.

i hear you there! I had my islander out in over 8' swells last year and I felt totally safe. These were not the breakers though. Did take one over the stern soaked my brother sitting in the jump seat haha. Auto bilge kicked on