real amateur outboard question

bandrus1

Small Outboards normally drain themselves if the shaft is vertical, I have never worried about it with my 2 small outboards, just throw them in the garage every fall and my garage is not insulated. Not sure about the newer larger outboards, I think they may be the same.

Edited by Steve.e

I am not sure what you mean by winterization mode.

When you pull it out at the launch or before it is subject to any freezing temps, you need to make sure there is no water left in the motor. If you don't, there is a strong possibility that any water left in it will freeze and cause damage due to expansion. If you store it outdoors in the tilted up position, water can enter the lower unit from precipitation and then if the air temp drops below freezing, there is the possibility of freezing damage. If you store it outside with the possibility of freezing temps, you should lower the motor. Some people say to crank it a little in the lowered position to get the water out. I have a 1990 motor and have never done that. The water just drains out when I lower it. I don't know if cranking is recommended with any newer motors. It might be good to consult your owner's manual or a mechanic that services them, to find out if cranking is recommended or ok. I know that you can damage your water pump impeller pretty quick if you crank or run it with no water.

With 2 strokes, yes e-tech is a 2 stroke, it does not really matter because there is no oil reservoir that leaks into everything. So for water draining purposes it must have been upright ( you did that at the launch).

Edited by rolmops

Bandrus, you wouldn't need to run your ETEC through the on board storage mode when you aren't going to use the motor for a short period of time. What that mode does is automatically "fog" the engine for corrosion protection. You should just be sure water has drained from the motor when you put boat on trailer for freeze protection.

If you're planning on using it again in the next few weeks I wouldn't worry about it. If it were going to sit for a month plus then I would winterize. It's only to keep the engine internals from corroding/rusting.

the real issue im worried about was after I pulled it out I didnt trim it down all the way at any point

Just make sure she is lowered/trimmed down all the way and all of the water should drain out. My outboard actually has a small hole in the front of the mid section to allow water to drain after it is trimmed up.

the real issue im worried about was after I pulled it out I didnt trim it down all the way at any point

look for cracks in the lower section, no cracks good to go