Alaska Trip

My wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska next summer.  Currently the plans are to rent an RV as she wants to go Denali and go to various places on the Highway, then we are going to fly out to one of the remote towns in Southwest Alaska.  I'd like to catch some of the fish species that we don't have here like sockeyes, graying and Dollys.  I've been doing research and there seems to be a lot water and HUGE amount of regulations. So being a once in a life time trip I was wondering if someone on here who has been to Alaska wouldn't mind sharing some tips and there experience. 

Edited by salmonboy41

Go for a combined species charter out of homer for halibut, snapper (red eyes), sea bass (rockfish) and silvers. Depending on the timing long cod might be open too. I fished out of resurrection bay at Seward but the fishing in homier is supposedly even better for big halibut. Just book a day with a charter out there. Best fishing trip of my life hands down.

Go for a combined species charter out of homer for halibut, snapper (red eyes), sea bass (rockfish) and silvers. Depending on the timing long cod might be open too. I fished out of resurrection bay at Seward but the fishing in homier is supposedly even better for big halibut. Just book a day with a charter out there. Best fishing trip of my life hands down.

Good advise!! Bob's trophy Charters out of Homer. July 1st ling cod opens up. Do the killer combo Halibut, Rockfish, ling cod. Awesome trip

In every creek you cross you will find fish. Every mouth of a creek flowing out into the ocean will have fish you can cast too. Most creeks will have Dolly Varden and Greyling a few miles upstream and beyond from the ocean. Char are more inland. Pink salmon will clog the mouth of creeks near ocean. Silvers chum and sockeye will be anywhere on a river depending on timing. There will be plenty of closed to fishing stretches that will frustrate you. Hike upsteam of any stream that crosses a road and you will have the place to yourself. Don't stop at bird creek as it is shoulder to shoulder due to closeness to anchorage. Your first destination should bear creek or black bear campground (can't remember name) on portage creek...I believe. The small creek that runs clear near camp site is closed to fishing to protect sockeye. However where that creek dumps into the muddy portage creek there is nice hole where the clear water mixes and there you will find your fish. Bring dry flies for Greyling and lake whitefish. Bring large Vibrax spinners with orange hackle for casting off mouths of creeks into ocean. Fish skein off river mouths in ocean for Sole (delicious). Bring streamers and orange egg patterns for silvers chum sockeye and dolly Varden.

In every creek you cross you will find fish. Every mouth of a creek flowing out into the ocean will have fish you can cast too. Most creeks will have Dolly Varden and Greyling a few miles upstream and beyond from the ocean. Char are more inland. Pink salmon will clog the mouth of creeks near ocean. Silvers chum and sockeye will be anywhere on a river depending on timing. There will be plenty of closed to fishing stretches that will frustrate you. Hike upsteam of any stream that crosses a road and you will have the place to yourself. Don't stop at bird creek as it is shoulder to shoulder due to closeness to anchorage. Your first destination should bear creek or black bear campground (can't remember name) on portage creek...I believe. The small creek that runs clear near camp site is closed to fishing to protect sockeye. However where that creek dumps into the muddy portage creek there is nice hole where the clear water mixes and there you will find your fish. Bring dry flies for Greyling and lake whitefish. Bring large Vibrax spinners with orange hackle for casting off mouths of creeks into ocean. Fish skein off river mouths in ocean for Sole (delicious). Bring streamers and orange egg patterns for silvers chum sockeye and dolly Varden.

Thanks Gill-T that makes me feel better as I have had a few ppl tell me the fishing wasn't very good aside from the Halibut fishing. But these ppl aren't regular salmon fishermen and they just fished the Kenai so I'm not sure how to take there experience.

I take it you have been there?

Edited by salmonboy41

Yes best 10 days of my life. Spent with my two brothers camping stream side. Traveling mid-day to a new location each day. Even rented an outboard and went out into Valdeez Bay. Take a backpack and tent and go in August. Ate salmon every day and never got sick of it. It is light out til 11:00 at night so lots of fishing time. We found the best times by parking and hiking way upstream to set camp. I did take a shotgun but never saw a bear...only tracks. Had a moose walk into our camp at night. Having a huge black moose cracking sticks in the dark will cause the hair on your neck to rise!

My wife and I are trying to plan a trip to look at properties. I don't think we can do it this year but possibly next. I can't wait I got family and friend up there and they love it.. Hope your trip goes well

Edited by Barkspud

I think I was there around that same time. Weather was perfect. We did a cruise and at the one stop in icy straight point, there was a kid renting zebco's with a small-ish spoon. Kids were slamming the silvers right off the beach non-stop. I had fun watching them fish and helping them out with unhooking. So the fishing is definitely good.

Early to mid July the sockeye salmon should be in full swing. The Russian River can be absolutely fenominal. It's on your way to Homer. Don't overlook Seward for Halibut. If you're going north toward Denali Clear Creek near Talkeetna is a fantastic spot for rainbows and grayling. I've also fished a ton of what I would call no name streams and caught grayling and trout. I believe there are people around Talkeetna that will drop you off in a jet boat to fish upper end of clear creek for trout. Some of the fattest and prettiest rainbows I've ever seen.

There is a small trib that flows into Seward bay on opposite side of town that I caught two cohos wading and casting Vibrax spinners that weighed close to 20 lbs plus fresh pinks....then all of a sudden the fish disappeared....and then a seal popped its head up. Game over. Different world. The cohos we caught flatlining Vibrax spinners off the back of our rented boat in Valdeez were huge too.

www.talkeetnafishingguides.com/

abcmotorhomes.com

You have the advantage of time.  Book your camper early.  We used this place back in 2005 and they send me flyers every year around december that offer 40% off if you book in the fall for the following year.  They are very close to Anchorage Airport and if you arrive after they close, they leave the camper open for you to sleep in.  Also been in business for decades.

The talkeetna site gives some good info on flies and run timing.  Might be a little different if you head south of Anchorage.  I'd suggest a guide for the 1st day, just to beat the learning curve and maximize your time, they'll also know all the regs for that area.  We did a drop off to clear creek.  Be warned, if they drop you off, they give you a "approximate" time they will pick you back up.  My fiance was freaking out when they were 4 hours late picking us up... fresh bear tracks didn't help the situation.  

Don't pass a gas station without fueling up, there might not be another for a hundred miles or more.  Take the bus Through Denali, and book it in advance, they fill up quick.  Personal vehicles are only allowed so far into the park, there is an abundance of wildlife beyond where you can drive.  Again money well spent.  Pick up a recent copy of the Alaskan Milepost.  Shows highways and attractions along them.  Good tool in planning your trip.

Vibrax spinners in orange and green were the hot lures for salmon and pegged beads were the go to for trout.  Be very careful if you venture off any beaten path...unlike Gill T, I had a few close encounters with bears.  One was in the river near our campground at Talkeetna, another was on the Russian river where a man was attacked the day before. 

In July, you'll want to take bug spray..

You can camp on the beach in Seward, the spit in Homer and the Park on the Russian River. All great stops. Seward has great glacier trips on the boat where you will see seals, otters, whales, eagles and great scenery. Homer has great halibut fishing trips. No where in North America will you travel through mountain scenery as the highway will show you Dall Sheep and maybe Mountain Goats. Be careful of the moose on the roads especially at night. This is the trip of a lifetime.

"North to Alaska" ..... I'll let you know!  (answers, to your questions)  My wife and I are leaving pa. ....the end of May. (2016)  "Roadtrip" ... going to stop in  Whitehorse (NWT) ...hear the breakfast is fantastic, at a local diner!  After NWT - off to Anchorage! Wife refuses to wear the back pack I got her, ... writing on the back ... slow moving lunch!  Hope you two have a great trip.

Earl & Doris - (Bag Lady)

rv site is abcmotorhome.com , sorry.

I second the seward boat trip...how many opportunities do you ever get to see whales?  Pretty awesome when they surface right by your boat.

We did a 7 day glacier cruise from Vancouver to Seward...then the train from Seward to Anchorage...then 7 days in the camper.  Some of the best days of my life.