Sandy Creek Pen Rearing Meeting

Sandy Creek Pen Rearing Volunteers,

It is unfortunate that I have to announce to the group today that there will not be a pen rearing project for us in 2016. As many of you already know, we were notified four weeks ago that the Marina that we have been using in the past will no longer be supporting the pen rearing project. This came as a surprise to us all and that leaves us currently as a project without a pen site. At this point, we have exhausted all possibilities for an “emergency†site for this year. As a whole, what Sandy Creek lacks is commercial waterfront with reasonable depth to support the project. It has been tough to find a location that access, deep water, good dockage, and space to hold 3 pens, so needless to say, it has been a struggle to find a site that can support our needs in such short notice. Although the project has struggled finding a permittable site for this year, we have been overwhelmed with new site locations by numerous residents of the creek. It has been great to see the support. I have spent the past couple of weeks doing site visits and all of these sites have the possibility in supporting us in the future. It is important for us to get started on a plan for 2017. We have a year to make things happen.

I have schedule a meeting for this Saturday, April 9 from 10:00 – noon at the Hamlin Town Hall Gymnasium. I hope you all can attend in hopes to discuss the future and get some input from the project volunteers.

See you all there!

Captain Rob Westcott- Sandy Creek Pen Rearing Project Coordinator

It's a shame that one guy decided to pull the plug on his end of the program with such short notice.... It kind of screws every fisherman in the central basin because we depend on these Penn fish ( which the DEC confirms has a higher survival rate). Literally shaking my head.... Rob, I'm sure you and the other guys from Sandy will come up with an idea for next year..... How about brining your pens to Rochester and we will raise your fish this year?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rob thanks for all the time and effort you and the rest of the Sandy Creek Pen rearing board have put in to dealing with this unfortunate situation this year and making sure we get back in the game next year. It seems that with the fishing the last few years and the possible issues that may come into play the next few that these pen fish are more important than ever and I am really glad there is a future.

what marina was previously used? I'd like to make sure I never spend a dollar with them

Put it this way it was NOT East Fork Pro Marine and hell this guy probably wouldn't let you spend your money there even if you wanted to!

Sad news , Hope another location is found

It obviously has affected us in the short term. As for long term, with the amount of landowners reaching out to the group, the future looks great. As a group we need to make some decisions on the best location and we will also need to do some development of the the site we choice to meet our needs. The project will go on!

So what happens with all the fish that were allocated to sandy creeks pens? Will they be added to the oak and the genny?

Pen rearing is allotted half of the total stocking numbers for Sandy Creek. If these fish are not pen reared then they would just be added to the direct stock fish. Our delivery day is scheduled for monday. Along with our fish for pen rearing, the truck also carries direct stock Steelhead which are dumped into the creek at the public boat launch. The Chinooks on the other hand are kept at the hatchery until the direct stock occurs which is about a month from now.

This marina owner makes $$$ off these fish by renting seasonal docks, and transient dockage when the tourney is in town. His decision makes no sense to me. Unless he has a solid reason as to why he wont allow it anymore I say any fisherman that supports him after pulling this stunt should be ashamed.

Rob thanks for all the time and effort you and the rest of the Sandy Creek Pen rearing board have put in to dealing with this unfortunate situation this year and making sure we get back in the game next year. It seems that with the fishing the last few years and the possible issues that may come into play the next few that these pen fish are more important than ever and I am really glad there is a future.

Ditto. It is also gratifying to see that you have the support of those Sandy folks....another indicator that there are some really good generous folks out there. :yes:

I can't believe I'm doing this but I couldn't agree more Rick! Lol But in all seriousness it is exactly right, just about EVERY boat in that Marina is there for one reason and one reason only the FISH! Bad move on his part all the way around!