Another rivet question

I read a few posts on replacing rivets.  I am sure I have some loose ones on my boat but I want to try the garden hose test to make sure I don't have other problems as well.  My question is, how hard is it to replace them if you have a finished floor?  Can you do it from the under side and not tear up your whole floor?  I am not sure how much I want to tear into the boat, or if I want to dump it real cheap and get a smaller fishing boat?

Thanks!

Regular rivets you will have to get to the back side to tighten them up .  A dolly or anvil on one side and an air hammer and settint toll on the outside.  They make a "pop-rivet" that has a solid back , buy it requires a heavy duty tool.  Do  a search on the web for rivets , they arn't to expensive for a bag of 100.

Edited by Big Dave

I would drill out and replace with new then you don't have to worry about getting into the back of the rivet. Make sure and use a blind rivet of correct size and 5200 the rivet.

Edited by Chas0218

If you can access both sides of the river, cut the rivet off with a chisel. Obtain a larger rivet and same size drill. Drill out a larger hole and put the new rivet in place. With a steel tool with a hole the size of the rivet, pound the sheet metal to make it tight to the rivet. Then set the end of the rivet over to make it tighter. You need a helper to hold the head of the rivet while you pound things solid.

My your getting a varied amount of advice, all would work in particular instance. A lot of you question is based on the unknown. What is the boat made from steel or alum?  What size is it? 

Most of the time on an alum boat, find your rivet first... McMasters carr is a good place. get a rivet that is sealed, that is where the mandrell go through its closed, so when its installed it has a mechanical seal. Get the right size, bigger rather than smaller, and not ridiculously to long.  Drill the old bad rivet out from the outside, then clean up the out side of the hull real good normally corrosion is why the last one failed. You of course got the same metal type, alum boat with alum rivet etc... then 5200 the rivet good and slide it in and tighten it. If you don't have a big rivet gun your going to need one.  Then clean up the 5200 and fill the hole with it and your done.