Electric Trim Tabs

Chas0218

I was wondering if anyone out there has electric trim tabs? I was looking into a set of tabs last year but held off now I am looking again I just want to be able to help level out the boat with a few extra people. My boat is 23' and I am looking for some advice. I was thinking electric because I don't really have a place to mount the hydraulic motor where it is easily accessible to hook up and route the lines.

I don't think those would allow me to raise the bow when needed. I like having the ability to raise the bow in rougher seas to prevent waves from coming over the bow. I fish on the east end and regularly fish 2'-3' waves, but don't have the ability to level my ride when it lists.

Chas, trim tabs won't necessarily help you raise your bow, it will help level side to side and bring bow down... You run outboards, right? Just trimming your motor should bring bow up? The natural propulsion brings a bow up, as we all know. Do you have any forward storage access that you could mount a pump and run longer hoses to the tab assembly?

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah they will help me lower the bow and allow to level the boat left to right. I want to still be able to raise the bow like you said I can use my outboard trim but the smart tabs are always down and I don't think they will allow me to raise the bow when needed.

No real forward storage I have a bulk head about 3' in front of the transom I might be able to use but it is tough to get access to it. I was thinking of running the leads under the gas tank to the front where I can fish them up the same spot as the bilge pump wires.

When I split the cap and hull next year I am putting in schedule 80 piping for fishing wires from front to back. It is ridiculous trying to run anything on this old girl.

Edited by Chas0218

I used a set of smart tabs for awhile and they did well getting up on plane faster but didn't give me the ability to adjust the listing, same as you. I installed a set of Lenco tabs and that took care of the problem of leveling out the ride under varying conditions. Also adjusting bow attitude under varying seas is a plus. Had them on 6 years now and the only problem I had was with the trim tab control switch and Lenco sent me a new one at no cost to me.

Components are easily replaceable if the need arises. I'd buy them again.. :yes:

I was looking at possibly replacing my Bennett hydraulic tabs to their new electric tabs, and was told if you leave the boat in the water, they Recommend the hydraulic system. I understand what you are looking for as far as leveling with people, but like was stated before, they won't give you bow lift. Go to Bennett's website, loads of info!!

Capt Rich

Yeah I'm just looking to bring the bow down when needed. I have 18* deadrise so it isn't too bad but leveling with varying loads and fighting different seas is a plus. I store my boat on a lift all summer then in a pole barn for the winter.  Anyone know if bennett still has lifetime warranty on the actuators?

EDIT: Yes there is lifetime warranty on actuators electric or hydraulic (purchased after 9/15/15) and 3 years on switches.

Edited by Chas0218

Since you are pretty much dry storage, the electrics will work just fine. If you are a member of thehulltruth.com, there is a guy that works for Bennett, goes by Tabman, send him a message and he will give you all the info you need. He will tell you size, and any other info you need. Good Luck.

Capt Rich.

Since you are pretty much dry storage, the electrics will work just fine. If you are a member of thehulltruth.com, there is a guy that works for Bennett, goes by Tabman, send him a message and he will give you all the info you need. He will tell you size, and any other info you need. Good Luck.

Capt Rich.

Thanks, I will look into it.

I am here too!  A set of BOLT electric Trim Tabs 12 x 12" would be a good choice for your boat.  As noted they have a lifetime warranty on the actuators.  There are three different types of controls available, More info here http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/bolt/

If you have any questions feel free to contact me at [email protected] I check that e-mail a little more often than this forum.

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine