Fire at Milliken

This looks like the kiss of death for Milliken, the info I'm getting is a 25 million hit that and reduction in generation it looks ugly. The station is the largest taxpayer in Lansing and employs 70 workers.

I bet Obama is happy it one he won't have to run out of business

Mr Fat Tony,what would you do if the people of the United States of America had chosen you,Tony, to be the president of this country and why did the people not choose you?

Edited by rolmops

I don't know what it is like now, but Milliken used to be our great winter get away from Rochester. In February and March it was possible to fish for trout in the warm water outlet. It was just about the best medicine against cabin fever to be found.

Edited by rolmops

It would be nice if you have a plan to replace lost jobs and revenue before you make decisions like that,also corning glass in Addison manufactures devices which allow those plants to burn clean.

Maybe it will facilitate an upgrade for the plant. Insurance? The coal did burn dirty but I haven't seen a negative impact on the lake in my 30 years of fishing it. They have been trying to upgrade it to natural gas, maybe this will get that moving forward. This is where our federal government should step in and aid this plant, but ya know 500 billion is better spent on the zika virus.

My question is what are they gonna do with the pile of coal? ( It's massive)

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't remember what regulating body it was, but it was in the news a few weeks ago that NYS is not going to let them convert to natural gas.

It's already running part time and will probably be decommissioned at some point in the future though that is far from certain. But the problems it is having are New York's fault, and has nothing to do with Obama.

Edit: here's the news article.

Edited by hermit

Milliken was running yesterday the day after the machinery fire.  Maybe somebody can fact check my numbers on this but I believe it was in the late 70s New York  State was mandated to clean up there state wide coal emissions by something like 80% state wide. It was all accomplished by rebuilding this one plant. although it was very dirty before the refit.  I have to think that this is one of the cleanest coal fired plants in our nation today. Much less polluting than one of the new clear plants. just ask the foke at Fukishima.

unit #2 is running at 20% for voltage support until the new transmission line is built from Auburn to the Substation. The gas conversion was defeated so the plant will be mothballed, it's now operating at a loss but subsidized by the ratepayers because of the voltage issue. It a controversial issue it's one of the cleanest coal burning plants in the country, regardless it is what it is. They latest figure that I heard was it accounted for 14% of the tax base in Lansing.

You're right on Hermit...we can shut them down but ever wonder where the power is now coming from????

I read once where corning manufactures ceramic particle filters for power plants in Irwin ny not Addison,my apologies.the article said they were for all types of power plants but didn't specifically say coal so I'm not sure of that.