Sodus Point Fish Pen Activity

Hi everyone!

I would like to get a work party together for a week from this Saturday, April 16 at 10 a.m., at Krenzer Marine near the boat lift (south side of the road) to inspect the pens, install some new tipping ropes, and re-attach the top covers. Since we power washed and stored our fish pens in a warehouse for the winter, they are in pretty good shape for this year.

I was informed by Matt Sanderson, our regional biologist with the DEC that our fish will be delivered on Monday, April 18 at 11:30 a.m.  If you are free and can assist with the fish transfer to the pens, we’d welcome the help.  If you can be there 15 to 20 minutes earlier, that would help, because the truck is usually early.

Once again this year, I am begging for help to feed the fish during their stay in the pens.  The feeding schedules are 7 a.m., 10 a.m., 1 p.m., 4 p.m., and 7 p.m., 7 days a week, until they are released approximately 3 to 5 weeks later (depending on water temperature).  Feeding entails broadcasting two pre-measured bags of fish food over the pens, taking  and recording the water temperature, and recording the number of dead fish (if any).  The whole process only takes approximately 10 minutes. My grandson and I usually take the 4 p.m. feeding, and he enjoys it greatly.  If we have enough volunteers, we can break down the feeding shifts so you may only have to do week days or weekends.  I especially need the help on the weekends!

If you would like to volunteer to feed fish, or need more information, call me at 1(315)945-1314, or email me at [email protected].

Hopefully, I’ll see you Saturday, April 16, at 10 a.m.

Jim

Hello Jim,

My brother in law Derek and me should be able to help again on Saturday the 16th. Unfortunately because we are down in PA, I won't be able to help with the feeding weekdays.

Don Fegley