Outboards With Freezing Temps

ncej03

Hello All,

I'm trying to time a trip in late April.  I won't have indoor storage.  I have a Verado and Pro Kicker.  Given that time of the year, there still is a chance for overnight freezing temps.  Just wondering what you all do, or if that will be a problem.

Thanks!

If you are expecting freezing temps, just lower them down to drain the water from them before leaving the launch. Of course you will have to raise back up for travel. Keep them lowered when parked, especially if there is precipitation and freezing temps.

Edited by muskiedreams

I leave my big motor tilted up but I wrap my prop with a garbage bag and bungi cord (eg after making sure it is drained)

Edited by Sk8man

Hello All,

I'm trying to time a trip in late April.  I won't have indoor storage.  I have a Verado and Pro Kicker.  Given that time of the year, there still is a chance for overnight freezing temps.  Just wondering what you all do, or if that will be a problem.

Thanks!

As long as you don't have clearance issues between the skeg and the ground, trim them sraight down vertically and you are good to go.

I've been out three times in march with no issues . As said before vertical draining and turning the motor over a couple times after coming out of the water turning the water pump and pushes out any water left in the system . This prevents the water discharge opening from freezing for your next trip.

As mentioned above the motors will self drain in the down position. We run 2 boats on the Hudson for duck hunting during some extremely cold periods and never stored inside, just put on the trailers and park. Both engines are 20 years old and never had a problem