Removing outboard from transom

This seems like a stupid question, but I agreed to help my brother replace the transom in his aluminum boat. My question is how to remove the outboard from the transom to a stand. The outboard is a 2 stroke 40HP Tohatsu, which doesn't weigh more than 150 lbs. I can't rent an engine hoist in my area, so it is not worth buying one. Should I use a chain hoist attached to the garage rafters or does someone have another option.

Also, the Tohatsu doesn't have a lift ring. Can I just put a few straps around the outboard or do I need to attach something to the motor to lift it out.

I wouldn't think that its not that heavy so just lift it off. The two of you shouldn't have an issue, I had a 1975 55 hp Evinrude that I changed myself and moved around easily not sure how heavy it was but thinking it was similar in weight to yours and with 2 people that would be easier.

I wouldn't think that its not that heavy so just lift it off. The two of you shouldn't have an issue, I had a 1975 55 hp Evinrude that I changed myself and moved around easily not sure how heavy it was but thinking it was similar in weight to yours and with 2 people that would be easier.

. Agreed . Easier and probably safer in the end to just lift off with two guys. There's also a neat trick ( if you have a wheel jack on your tounge) by putting a piece of wood under the lower unit, unbolt the motor having someone making sure it's staying on the transom, raise the tounge of the trailer, when the motor lifts off the transom the motor is standing on the wood, lower it on a dolly cart like you use working under a car, wheel it to a corner in the garage out of the way. When you go to hook it back up, same process. Did my 115 that way. Easy

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United