Special Thanks To Arney's Marina

I just wanted to post a special thanks to Arney's Marina in Sodus Point, NY.  I have dealt with Arney's for years and continue to go back due to their professional and courteous staff.  They continue to go the extra mile to ensure the customer is satisfied and pleased. Their mechanic Bob is exceptional in the pride he takes in his work and Bob and Jayne make dealing with Arney's always a pleasure.  If you need a good Marina to go to on Lake Ontario I highly recommend  Arneys at Sodus Point..

I broke the fuel nipple on the motor while tilting the motor putting in at Oswego one morning. I got there a few minutes before they opened, and 1 of the mechanics had it replaced before the office was open. Best service on the lake.

The staff and service is one of best on Lady O THE FUEL DOCK is second to none free pump out with purchase fuel PLEASE DONT

FORGET TO tip THE ATTENDENT

Edited by zipnzim

Bought a re-built outboard from them 2 years ago.  Evinrude 225 to replace a 225 Opti that went south.  Long story short motor ran for a total of about 1 month total that would be considered trouble free maybe 3 weeks total.  Ended up settling for half my funds back.  Lots of stuff went on between me and them concerning said motor.  The second time it blew they sent it out to have it rebuilt, apparently it was rebuilt locally the first time.  This was in late Sept of 2014.   I went over in November to grab my batteries and my boat was sitting in the yard.  The motor was uncovered, and  covered in ice and snow and the top half of the lower unit where the power head sits was a mess as for chalking etc.  Arneys got the power head back and they put it on and put the boat in last May at Hughes where we stay in the summer and by the 3rd week in June with little usage on the motor, maybe 20 hours it blew again.

Took it to Puglsey's to have them assess damage and they said it appeared to have a detonation issue that caused the #4 cylinder I think it was to melt.  They (Arneys)put me on a low priority, there words not mine, when this happened.  They didn't want to rebuild the motor again for a third time and I didn't really want to have it rebuilt again-so long story short we ended up buying a used Penn Yan Avenger, and we haven't looked back.  So after a little over 6k invested in  the outboard(cash money) we got less than half back.  BUT they did offer to do that for us which I am grateful for. I can not tell you how many times that Evinrude o.b. crapped out on us on the lake.  Good weather and very very crappy weather, which not being that experienced on the Big O and with my wife whom has very little fishing experience can be a bit trying and actually the pucker factor can be quite high in such situations.  I also had an old 1988 9.9 hp kicker, Mercury, on the boat and that got us home more times than I can remember.  Ran like a top too.  Sold it with the Pro Line when we sold the boat and bought a Penn Yan.  

The Penn Yan  runs like a top, and we have had 0 problems with it.  As for the boat the outboard was on it is a Pro Line Sport Fisherman that I absolutely loved. Just a great boat and very well kept.  Looked like it was going fast just sitting at the dock.  That was sold for a song and a dance as it sat in front of Hughes up by the road.  Now there is a lot more that went on for weeks and weeks of not having the boat for fishing in the summer of 2014.  Matter of fact when we picked it up for the very first time and took it to Hughes via the lake to put hours on it, it broke down with a broken carburetor linkage which just so happened to be in the evening, in the middle of multitudinous thunder storms in the area.  So Holy Mackeral came and towed us in to Hughes.  We made it about as far as just east of the block house.  Should have known then that something was amiss but hey live and learn.  

PS  after it blew the second time they assumed that maybe the boat( Pro Line) was water logged, and maybe it was over taxing the motor,so we had a survery done at Arney's as the boat was there and I figured maybe it was.  Well the boat passed with flying colors and according to the engineer who looked at the boat and gave us the survey he said that with the motor that was on it, a 225 Ocean Runner, it should have no problem moving the boat.  Oh yea it was a surveyor they recommended.  That was an extra few hundred out of pocket, my pocket for that service.  We used the same fella to survey our Penn Yan too.  Folks that fish out of Hughes know all about the trial and tribulations of the late KlondikeWilly.  

Edited by longbow

Tha'ts too bad Longbow.  My experience and it has been 40 years since I purchased my first Penn Yan, actually an AMC then, from John Love has been absolutely perfect.  Fair and fast service.  Several Penn Yan's later and now a mix of glass and tin boats, I have been lucky enough to have Arneys fix what other Marinas could not. My statement was not an endorsement for others to follow but a  sincere thanks and acknowledgement for their service they gave to me.

The moral of the story is stay way away from any of that old Evinrude and Johnson stuff.

I gotta believe there were more circumstances that you didn't know about as it doesn't sound like the Arneys I know.

We all make mistakes..... sounds like they took care of you somewhat anyways.

To bad, as you say a lesson learned. 

One of the things that strikes me after listening to Longbows very unfortunate experience is that probably every marina out there has at one time or another had a negative result but most have a lot more positives and especially when they have good mechanics working for them. The really unfortunate thing is if you are that one person who happens to have it happen it leaves a very sour taste in your mouth despite your being in that less than 1 percent of the folks that had work done. It is also true of the motors and boats themselves kinda like cars....there are always "lemons" out there and if you are unlucky to get one it is a terrible experience. I guess the important thing is to keep things in perspective too.... Longbow gives us a good example of when things don't go as planned but over the long haul most of the things come out right and business reputations are important in this regard. Although I didn't buy my boat at Arney's (they don't deal in Whaler's :) ) I have been familiar with them since the 1970's and I have known many folks and close friends who have done business with them and John Love in particular and I have never heard a bad word about the business or him.

Yep the Pro Line was hooked up for fishing that is for sure.  Big open deck with no obstructions, auto pilot with hydraulic steering, GPS, Depth Finder and our kicker we put on.  A very dry ride too and it went fast when it went!  Trolled right down too.  

A story:  We were about 5 miles out on a Sun. morning a couple of years ago and the big motor decided to quit on us.  Everyone stayed in closer to shore but nope my wife and I went where the fishing was good, and the wind started coming hard out of the s.e. and the main engine decided to quit.  We had the kicker going and we were using the main for boost.  Main quit, the kicker couldn't keep up and it was a hairy half hour while I worked to get the main going again, had a rats nest under the boat, and actually took two big ass waves over the transom, over the top of the main and into the back of the boat.  It has scuppers though but for a minute or two we had a good bit of water on the deck and up to about my mid calf.  But it is a sealed deck and we went side ways into the waves but after that we put the sea bags out and we kind of stayed into the wind after the boat swung.  It also has a salt water transom where the engine hung off the back of the boat about 3' so you can imagine my consternation when the waves came aboard.  Got the motor running, don't why it started but it did and home we headed.  Wife swore she would never get on the boat again.  I hated that Ocean Runner motor.  

Edited by longbow

I'm sorry Longbow, about your bad experience. Although, I have read your post backwards and forwards, I fail to see where Arneys was responsible. Used motor, used problems. Like you said, they refunded close to half the funds. Good thing you didn't buy it from someone else, in my opinion. I've never bought anything from Arneys, but I had done business with them going back to the Harriet days. Quality People!

I don't know, let me see over 6k laid out by me and my wife, cash money, no loans etc.  Engine blew up twice, constantly stalling which they couldn't pin point, 90 day warranty which was never reached with either of the two re-builds on the motor, over heating issues, carbs out of sync, which they fixed as best they could.  I am the consumer, paid my money no questions, happy to have the motor, motor absolutely did not work correctly from the get go.  What don't you get I mean being under warranty and all?  

Edited by longbow