300 Remington SAUM

Not real familiar with it, but it's a .30 caliber magnum round, shortened to be utilized in a short action rifle ( shorter bolt throw). I would research ammo availability uless you plan to reload.

Still .308 bullet diameter, plenty big for what you want to do. It is derived from the 404 Jeffrey case. Looks like 150-200 gr bullet weights, 3,400-3,500 ft-lbf of energy depending on grain weight. Haven't heard much of this caliber in about 10+ years.

It's way more than enough for hunting. Those ultra-mag calibers can burn up a barrel 5 times faster than a 30-06. Even if you reload, that caliber uses a ton of powder. Those extreme velocities usually work best with extreme (translated as EXPENSIVE) bullets. I reload 11 rifle calibers and hunt with most of them. I got rid of my 300 Win Mag because I never used it. My go-to 30 caliber cartridge is my 30-06. But I also hunt with my 30-30, 308 Win, 32 Special, 35 Remington and 45-70 with a slow moving 405gr slug :)

Guess depends on what your looking to do with it. The regular 300 win mag will be a lot cheaper to keep ammo in. I have a 300 mag that I reload Berger VLD handloads for, my brother in-law reloads Berger's for a 300 ultra mag he is spending alot more per round. As for your original question it will kill anything that walks as far as you can shoot it, but so will alot of smaller more economical rounds. If I was going to set up a long range gun it wouldn't be a short action. Sean

• 2 weeks later...