Predator Proximity

Has anyone noticed any sort of correlation between the proximity of other "predators" and Muskies while fishing?

My initial thoughts are that if there are smaller fish feeding, those fish feel "safe" enough to venture out.... meaning there is a likely chance there are no muskies in the vicinity. If I catch a pickerel or a smaller bass, I tend to head to a new spot. I've been curious whether I am making a "good" decision or wasting time by giving up on the spot.

I've caught tigers on Otisco the very next cast after catching a bass so I do not acknowledge it there.

However I recall one trip at Waneta where in about 8' of water we were experiencing follows/bites (muskies). We ended up drifting in to shore a little ways and we started catching pickerel left and right real tight to shore. This was one situation that reinforces my thoughts that they tend not to feed very close together.

I know I am overthinking this but I am curious and often wondered what people who have more time on the water think about it.

So what are others thoughts/experiences regarding this topic?

I was river fishing at dusk one time and I was throwing my jerk bait in the rapids - Depth ranged from ankle deep to thigh deep.  After my 9th bass over 17 inches it occurs to me that there is a musky below them in the waist deep water.  1st cast into that water and there goes my jerk bait - wasn't even that big ~ low 30s.  Every once in a while in the river (especially Fall) you can see the muskies literally chasing other fish out of the water.

If im not mistaken, its not uncommon to find musky and walleye in the same area, but if im getting into pickerel, chances are im going to move elsewhere. It doesn't feel like they tend to be in the same spots as musky, though i have no definitive proof

Several times last summer we were lucky enough to fish baitballs pushed to the surface and being attacked by pike, tigers, and gar at the same time . Never any pickerel mixed in with the other predators though. But this was over 25 to 30 feet of water.

Seen plenty of Tigers mixed with Pike, Pike mixed with walleyes, Musky's mixed with walleyes as well. Don't have chain pickerel where I fish. Mostly Conesus, occasionally Chautauqua and even less occasionally northern Canada. The biggest Musky I ever saw was 50" and was caught on a walleye jig while catching eyes in > 40' of water in Chautauqua.

Edited by NPike

I hooked into a big fish jigging for walleye in Chautauqua many years ago. Too bad it turned out to be a carp. :lol:

I got one over 30 pounds (the thing was a pig) fishing a X-Rap for pike on Conesus. I knew it wasn't essox by the way it fought, but still took almost 10 minutes to get it in. They are strong fish particularly when they are giants.

Edited by NPike

I have two observations. I fish Lake of the Woods, Ontario.

In the first one while casting for Musky I saw bass, perch and other little fish jumping all over right out of the water in a weed bed. The reason , a school of Muskies had just moved in shallow from the depths . I saw eight large fish next to my boat just passing through en route to the weeds. A couple of them followed my yellow Mepps spinner and I caught one. All the while little fish were just busting out of the water, so there had to be even more Muskies that I didn't see. Reminded me of a tv show I saw featuring salt water fishing.

There have been other times while using minnows for Walleye that we caught both Pike and Musky when it is apparent that the Walleye feeding had shut down and the school had just moved on. Some of these Esox were quite large too! Lots of fun on six pound test.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen many times where we had a nice steady pick of walleye and all the sudden nothing....next thing you know drag is screaming and you are on a tiger or a musky. I think predators can feed together , but when a big fish moves in on a bunch of smaller predators feeding they shut down the action. I have seen where smaller tigers and pike feed right along with walleye and bass...but not bigger fish...bigger fish shut down other action imo. If you are catching bass i would say there probably isn't a monster musky cruising the spot right then...but they could show up anytime...possibly even to check out the commotion. If I like a stretch enough to fish it Im probably gonna work the whole stretch regardless of outcome. That being said if you feel something lowers your odds move...I don't believe we fish well when we aren't confident.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app