mercruiser stern drive maintence

john1947

Good morning,

last year i checked my gear case and it had some water in the lower unit.I changed it and last fall I found oil had mixed very little in lub.It came out with no water just grey lube.Wondered if it is o klike that or go for a prop seal.no grease on prop or shaft.Im also replacing the water pump,it lasted two years probably the plastic cup got over heated,to bad they dont make metal cups.Im also installing a alarm for overheat andnew flapper valves,so water doesnt get into the block.Any experience on these repairs welcome

thanks

john

Edited by john1947

when there is milky oil or water in lower unit you have a bad seal or two when putting a new impeller it come as kit that fits other units  go to dealer get seals impeller new cup and there is a upper cup you need to check if you burned out the check valve in the exhaust its whip too ask dealer for shop manual not that bad a job to do

If I'm not mistaken the impeller does not have anything to do with water intrusion on my outboard the impeller housing is plastic with a metal cup inside. There is a seal under the the flat that the impeller rides against. There are 2 seals on the driveshaft under that along with a gasket on the back of that plate. Most likely bad prop shaft seals. Check for fishing line around the prop shaft.

Edited by Chas0218

There are several seals in a Mercruiser sterndrive that could be at fault . Do a pressure test to find the faulty seal . An old bicycle pump can be modified to do the test . A shop manual is a must ,as some of the seals require special tools to replace . A prop seal is also a frequent cause of water in gear oil .

chinook35 is right. Their are many seals in the entire outdrive I had the same issue 3 years ago. I started replacing parts one at a time with still finding water in the drive. Finally just had to bite the bullet and have the outdrive rebuilt. I was going to try it myself but as chinook35 said their are special tools to do the job. Their are also some tight tolerances that must be followed for reassembly. I like to do as much as I can myself. But in this case I left it for the pros. No more water issues and it runs great.

Goo Luck!

Long ago my alpha 1 got milky, ended up being flange at top of outdrive where input shaft (from engine) comes in, found rust had eroded metal under seal - new flange and seal and all was well for 15 years. Others are correct that there are several points it can come in through.