Walleye on spoons in Lake O.

Chas0218

So I have been fishing walleye for a few years and have thrown spoons out on the riggers but never had any luck. When you guys run them what do you run for set backs? I was in the 50' range with smaller stinger spoons.

I've only picked up 5 or 6 walleye on riggers over the last 2 years on Lake O so I don't even run them anymore when targeting walleye. We likely fish some of the same areas.

Leadcore and spoons has been very productive.  I'd say just about as good as sticks.  

I'm glad it isn't just me. I have caught other species on the rigger/spoon combos. I know of a few other guys that have pretty consistent catches with the spoons they just don't like to share techniques as much (old timers thinking I'm taking their fish). I did see on Erie they utilize night crawlers but for me I always caught jack perch and bass on tipped spoons and harnesses. I just put them back into the box or ran them clean I got sick of resetting lines for other fish I didn't really want (although those jack perch do add up).

BTW did I say walleye? I meant sunfish and bluegill.....  :bandit: Silly me there aren't any walleye in Lake O.

Edited by Chas0218

I never had riggers when walleye fishing Lake Erie out of walnut creek, but we always used to switch to spoons on our dipsy's once the white bass hookups got too bad on harnesses/crawlers and did pretty well.  Purple/pink stingers with copper backs.  Willow blade worm harnesses were hard to beat though as long as the white bass stayed off them.

I never had riggers when walleye fishing Lake Erie out of walnut creek, but we always used to switch to spoons on our dipsy's once the white bass hookups got too bad on harnesses/crawlers and did pretty well.  Purple/pink stingers with copper backs.  Willow blade worm harnesses were hard to beat though as long as the white bass stayed off them.

Yeah I had some spooks and more natural colors in the past. Last year I ran some purples and UV that I thought was going to be the ticket was purple with black dots. I bought a few more patterns this year to try. I am trying to match the bait fish size but they seem to really like my stick baits so I might jump it up to my standard spoons.

Lighter weight spoons to handle the slow walleye troll in the spring, 100 to 150 ft leads and a high quality swivel and flouro. Definatly a good sheaps head set up!!!!!

Yeah I run the stinger scorpions they seem to work at catching other fish.