Gun Sale ?

Dylan585

So i finally found a .17 hmr im going to get... Someone won it and they dont want it so blah blah blah... Basically i need to know what do i need to do to buy it from them. IS it just as simple as i give them money then leave with a gun?

The legal "safe act" way is to do the exchange at a local gun shop (or someone with an FFL). It cost $10 for the transfer fee (paid to the gun shop or FFL holder). It requires filling out the federal form for a firearm purchase as if you were buying it new from a gun shop. (unless they changed that rule, but I don't see Cuomo giving back any of our gun rights).

Or you could hide the money "under your pillow", and find the gun there the next morning when you wake up...

Edited by Todd in NY

It can be that simple but what if it is stolen or has been used in a crime? Always good to be able to show valid chain of ownership in some manner as proof. Knowing the person you are dealing with is also a plus.

Edited by Sk8man

It can be that simple but what if it is stolen or has been used in a crime? Always good to be able to show valid chain of ownership in some manner as proof. Knowing the person you are dealing with is also a plus.

Its brand new and I figured for his piece of mind id give a copy of my license

I was thinking in terms of protecting both of you. As Ed indicated at least of bill of sale with the owners names and dates of sale etc. It can be important proof of when you came into possession of the firearm and from whom.

We figured it out... When he goes to get it im just going to go with him and basically ill be the one getting it from the gun store... Like I said it was won... This way the gun store will check me and everything will be good

A few years ago I bought a lever action rifle from an individual. We did the transfer/sale at a gun shop, paid the $10 fee and all was good. Its a PITA but it is what it is. I am 100% against the safe act but I wasn't willing to take any risks by doing it illegally.

I didn't realize a store was involved....whole different ballgame than buying from someone unknown as a private sale.

I didn't realize a store was involved....whole different ballgame than buying from someone unknown as a private sale.

like I said its kinda weird because he won it and doesn't have it yet (I had thought he already had it)

• 3 months later...