Lead core set ups

Hi guys,

A few more questions about 27lb lead core set ups. I have 4 reels that I want to dedicate to lead core and want to do it correctly. Right now I have 17lb mono backing on two Daiwa 47lc reels each with 5 colors on them and 12lb flouro leader. After thinking about it I am not really crazy about having lighter backing but hoped if anyting failed it would be the lighter leader, in addition I don't think there is enough backing there either. I also have 2 Shimano Triton 200GT reels that I want to set up as a 2 and 3 color reels for SWR, spring browns and fall salmon.

So with these four reels should I stay with two 5 colors and a 2 and 3 color?

I run big boards so I was thinking of using 30lb braid as backer (wrap spool with tape or short section of mono) and I would either splice in some 30lb big game between the backer and lead or use shower rings with rubber bands on the braid for the releases. Please take a look at the "chart" below and let me know how it looks. Hopefully it is big enough to read.

Thanks again

Terry

post-158668-0-68022900-1460735030_thumb.png

I would definitely go with braid as your backing.  You can splice in a section of mono between the braid and your core, that will make your willis knot much easier to tie( braid is a pain). As far as number of colors it is really dependent on your purpose for these rods.  If you are going to use them for fall salmon in heavy traffic I would definitely go with heavier braid backing. I use 40# for what its worth.  I have a triton 200 GT rigged for core and you have quite a bit of room on that reel for this purpose.  As the season leads out of spring you may want to consider a heavier leader as well.  Not a must but something to think about.  I really like my 7 color rigs.  They are versatile and they are a great length for  mid summer walleyes on Erie as well.  Hope this helps a little.

Definitely lose the mono backing and go to 30# braid, really, it's a no brainer. You will save reel capacity (even compared to only 17# mono) and have a stronger backing.

My favorite leadcore setups are 5 and 7 color.  After that I prefer to switch to copper.  If I want more depth on my leadcores, I can attach a torpedo weight (ex. cuda) with an OR16 clip onto the backing and let out 50 ft or so. 

I attach my board release directly to the braid. What board are you using? If you use something like a TX44, you can stop the braid from slipping through the release by wrapping it around the release once before you clamp down.

I plan to go to the 30lb braid.

I run big boards off of a mast not inline boards and planned to put 30lb big game mono between the backer and lead core. Not sure if you were able to make haeds or tails of my chart but I figured that I would add enough mono between the lead and the backer to cover atleast 150' out on the boards.

I have also heard of eliminating the mono and just using shower clips with rubber bands with a double loop on the braid.

Will the 47LC hold 7 colors and enough 30lb PP braid backing?

I have a large assormnet of Stinger Dive Bombs for added weight 1/2/3/4 and 6oz and figure I can achieve greater depths with those and retain some of the backing.

I have never had an issue with a mono backer. We run (2) 3 colors, (2) 5 colors, (2) 10 colors off both inlines when weather allows and big boards when the wind is blowing. I use 30lb Big Game and connect the mono to the leadcore using Spro Barrel Swivels (80lb)  one the business end I run 75' of Segar Floro 10 and 12 pound. The leader is also attached via 80lb Spro swivel. The swivels come thru the guides and level wind flawlessly I have approx 190 yards of backer. We run Okuma Cold Water reels and Ugly Stick 8' 6" medium rods and I have never had an issue. 

You only need 6-10 feet of mono behind the core if you are going to go that route. Just enough to hook it in the release and be able to space it out a little so you don't weaken one area in the line.  This will also allow you to put on more backing.  A 47 should hold plenty of backing on a 7 color no problem.

DJ717 If I only put on 6-10 feet of mono between the lead and the backer then I am stuck running the set back or length of the lead core. So a 2 color would only be out 60 feet plus the leader. I plan on running 20' leaders so a total of 80 feet out. If the fish are 100-150 feet back I would be stuck trying to hold the braid backing in my releases which I hear does not work well with the exception of the rubber band trick I mentioned. This is why I was thinking of enough mono to cover a set back up to 180'.

20 foot leader + 60 feet core + 100 feet mono then 30PP backer to fill spool.

20 foot leader + 90 feet core + 75 feet mono then 30PP backer

20 foot leader + 150 feet core + 50 feet mono then 30PP backer

If I ran a 7 color I would just run a 6-10 foot section.

Do you guys run your short cores out farther than 180' out? There is so much to learn, I havent been to bed before midnight in a month I am glued to the topics on this site. I already know this year is going to be much more productive!!

I like 30 lbs big game as a backer for lead cores. The Scotty releases I use don't hold well with braid. I tie in a section on my coppers. But with short cores...I usually run them back away from the boat. Sometimes another 50-100 ft back. If you use a bigger reel it's not an issue. I prefer a Daiwa sg57 with the extra space, fast retrieve, tourney drag and bigger opening for swivels to fit through.

Just an FYI. I run up to 400 foot coppers with Fireline backing. I put the Fireline right into my Walleye board clips and it holds just fine. I would think it would hold fine in some other clips that are more on the rubbery side than the smoother plastic types. 

I do not run cores yet.