Scouting turkeys

Went on a short scouting walk and found four groups of birds on the roost. A Tom and a couple jakes and hens came out in a field. I backed away to observe. Ended up with 12 jakes and a Tom and some hens strutting and chasing. Great show and promising for opening day. Also brushed out a couple spots to set up in.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Your spots are looking good Kevin...scouting is a big key to success.

I took my 8 year  old grandson out 2 mornings last week end in North Carolina for a youth turkey hunt down there. They allow 8 year olds to hunt turkeys with an adult, which is really great because that is all he's been talking about, and he was just itching to get out there and hunt turkeys.

The first morning we called and called, set up in several spots, and never did hear a tom, but we did see 3 hens and 3 deer up close which really got him pumped up.

We were not able to roost any birds that evening, but I had a good hunch where to set up  the second morning after seeing those hens and lot's of fresh turkey sign.

The second morning we got set up in the dark, a cool 28 degrees, with a Barred Owl hooting just behind us, as the sky began to brighten into a gorgeous sunrise.

I began calling, no answers but a little while later I spotted a hen feeding way down on the other side of the meadow....then another. A minute or so later, my grandson said "there is a third one coming out". I put the glasses on it and it was a big tom ! We watched him Strut with those hens for over an hour and he basically ignored my calls, only answered me twice. I decided to go into plan B,...we left our decoy and stool, backed out quietly, and skirted the meadow to get closer to where he was strutting with those hens.

As we got close to their location I gave out some yelps and he answered with a gobble immediately, and headed our way! I got my grandson comfortable and ready as I made another call...he screamed out another gobble ....another call another gobble...closer and closer and went into full strut at 30 yards! Another soft call he came in to 20 yards all fanned out as my grandson went into full panic-buck fever-breathing hard mode. He was trying real hard to keep that 410 shotgun bead on that monster Tom. I gave 1 more soft yelp, the tom Gobbled right at us as I whispered "shoot him".....well he shot and missed...the turkey took off...and it was over.

But it was still a great hunt and an awesome morning for both of us.

Here he is the first morning when we saw the hens 

0409160719.jpg

Here he is shortly after he missed the big gobbler on the second morning

0410160901.jpg

Edited by choo-choo

Thanks Kevin...You should have heard him tell the story of our hunt to his mom , dad and big sister when we got home. The excitement in his voice as he described the pounding of his heart as he tried to steady the gun was priceless. The  ""rush" he got watching that big tom strut and hearing it gobble  at us up close,  will be with him for a long, long time.

A special memorable day for both of us.

My son did not share the same passion for hunting and fishing as I do. I did take him when he was younger but he was not overly interested in getting up early. (I bought him a lifetime license) Later when he was at Penn State he came home one May and we were able to double on two mature toms and a week latter I guided him to a second bird. He seems more interested now and actually just bought some fishing gear. Unfortunately he is now living in Oklahoma City. He's a great young man and I cherish the time we spend together.

• 2 weeks later...

Been scouting out in my woods behind the house.  So far 2 nice Toms have come out into the field looking for me after some box calling.  Sunday will be my first bow hunting experience ever and also first time hunting anything other than waterfowl about 8 years ago.  Looking forward to it

My son did not share the same passion for hunting and fishing as I do. I did take him when he was younger but he was not overly interested in getting up early. (I bought him a lifetime license) Later when he was at Penn State he came home one May and we were able to double on two mature toms and a week latter I guided him to a second bird. He seems more interested now and actually just bought some fishing gear. Unfortunately he is now living in Oklahoma City. He's a great young man and I cherish the time we spend together.

X2 with my son, now married and in the service he loves venny and fish, but has always had me get it and cook it for him. I hope the legacy of loving the outdoors passes on but it's a new generation. I know what I tried to instill will stick, but maybe its his son that will pick up the ball and run with it. Either way I'm very proud of him and love him! Guess I have to keep killing stuff to eat and provide. I'll be the huckleberry, :D

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My dad was a fair weather fisherman back in the day and took me out occasionally as a kid.  My grandfather passed before I was old enough to really know him but he had a library of fishing books that I read in the study every time we visited my grandma.  I literally took notes and kept them in a show box along with notes from fishing shows.  I did this for about 12 years until I got my drivers license and am now a fishing addict of about 25 years and am about to pick up bow hunting as well.  I am proof it can definitely skip a generation.

Been scouting out in my woods behind the house. So far 2 nice Toms have come out into the field looking for me after some box calling. Sunday will be my first bow hunting experience ever and also first time hunting anything other than waterfowl about 8 years ago. Looking forward to it

you should try to refrain from calling them in before season. It only takes them coming to a call with nothing there once or twice and next time they will hang up out of range and gobble while they wait for the hen to come to them. I never call before season not even a crow call. Scout from a distance with eyes and ears only before season

Last morning to scout turkeys before tomorrow's opener. I have two roosts located and birds have been there three days in a row. One nice Tom in one group but there seem to be many jakes this year and fewer toms. The rain may not be good for tomorrow but I'm fairly confident that I'll have fun chasing birds this spring. Donna won't hunt tomorrow but hope to get her out next week.