Spring Prep

anewton

Well, with only 6 weeks of winter left, I've got to get my stuff out and get ready for spring. There are a couple of things that I'd like to get opinions on.

1. Is there any special techniques or tools used for sharpening hooks? My initial thoughts are to use a flat fine file. Are hooks generally sharp enough out of the box?

2. Line recommendations for planer board setups. I may decide to get dedicated planer board setups so that I don't have to keep switching line from spring to summer. Would you use the same setups with riggers in the spring for shallow water fishing?

Thanks in advance!

-Aaron

Aaron,

It sure feels like spring might finally beon its way what with all the sunshine we have here today!

Here's what I would suggest:

1. Hooks are not sharp when they come out of the box. There's a tiny microscopic nub on the end of each barb that's there as a result of the plating process. You'll need to file that off if you want your hooks to be as sharp as they possibly can be. I use a fine file. You can find hook-specific files at most tackle stores.

2. Line recommendation is gonna depend on what you're fishing for. If it's browns, then go I'd light..10# or so. If you're chasing spring Kings, I'd say 17# is probably more like it. I have two different mono set-ups. I think I probably have 6 or so of each. One I keep spooled with 10# for brown trout fishing, and I leave that on all season long. The other I spool up with 17# in the spring, then up it to 30# when the fleas show up. That's my Kings set-up. Additionally, I have wire, leadcore, and copper setups that I can deploy when the situation warrants it.

Hope this helps!

Bill

Rather than having 2 different setups for spring, I am planning on using 20# Fireline for my downrigger and planer lines and leaving that set up on until mid summer. The way I see it is that 20# is plenty strong and still has a small diameter for visibility issues. Downside? Its expensive!

Inaddition I have 2 wire rods and 2 wire rods with 100' mono leaders for slider dipsey's.