Seneca north end 4/16

Fished north end sat am. Started right off the chamber with a landlock,bt program with the big boards shallow. Not a release. Crystal clear water. Trolled up the east side, got desperate and dropped the copper in starting in 90'. Took five mins for first laker then it was a slow pick from 90-110 fow. 5/5 biggest was just over 10. Broke off 300' of wire and a great Lakes #4 silver /blue right in front of pump house if anyone drags it up ;) can't wait to get back out .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-142224-1460892788279_thumb.jpg

WTG Kev :yes:  Those Great lakes #4's are pretty close to the old Pfleugers even in terms of finish and action aren't they? I like them a lot better than the Ace's too. :)

It seems to me that it reflects the fact that the zebras and quaggas have filtered out  a vast majority of the zooplankton that the bait feeds on and with this "missing link" at that point in the food chain everything above it suffers. I know a lot folks don't believe that but it appears to be more evident as time rolls on.

Don't over think it. The baits there. Last summer proved it. Waters cold. It will change! Can't wait. When it warms up a bit. Game on.

Nice report. Be on the north end very soon!

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It seems to me that it reflects the fact that the zebras and quaggas have filtered out  a vast majority of the zooplankton that the bait feeds on and with this "missing link" at that point in the food chain everything above it suffers. I know a lot folks don't believe that but it appears to be more evident as time rolls on.

Les, I was thinking the same thing. And I also thought about the spiny water fleas filtering out the zooplankton in the top water.

Ric66 - I know some folks believe that the current situation is just part of the larger historical cycle of things but the introduction of these invasives has changed the very nature of things in these lakes. A number of the older guys who have fished the Finger Lakes for many years have mentioned these differences that go well beyond the previous cycles that have been witnessed by them and myself included. The bait situation for example - we have in the past seen bait populations where there would be clouds of sawbellies reaching from bottom to surface in 150 ft or more of water for many hundreds of yards in numerous places in the lakes during our fishing  day. I haven't seen this on Seneca or Canandaigua in many years now. Is there still bait out there? Yes...but the numbers are miniscule compared with past levels despite the fact that some concentrations of it may be seen . There used to be huge populations of Rainbow Smelt in Seneca and Canandaigua Lakes and although there are still a few left in Canandaigua at the south end the early Spring runs in these lakes are history now. Kashong and Wilson Creeks and many streams on the east side on Seneca used to have major smelt runs and to my knowledge nothing is happening anymore. 

This situation is not simply a seasonal or locational variation it is a very real change that from the looks of things will continue to impact us as time goes along.  I certainly hope that something happens to change this but I don't know what it would be.

Edited by Sk8man

Again. How often do you venture tot he south end Les. Just curious. The bait is plentiful. Exactly as you described. So much of it last season that we were winding intods with 4 out of 10 had sawbellies stuck on hooks. Rods dancing through schools. From 20' of water to bottom I'm 125'. Bait. And more of it. DEC bait sampling takes place in Geneva. In early may. There is 37 miles of lake that isn't being sampled.. I've spoke with Brad about this.. I've filled him in. Because they only sample one spot on the lake for bait, it determines there efforts for future stocking, and reduced the numbers drastically over the past ten years...

The fact they stocked fish in the fall and spring is a good thing. I don't quite know the numbers for this spring, but I do know there were browns and Lakers put in. I hope some Atlantic's were too.

Nick

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fisher dude, nice talking to you today at the ramp.

thanks frogger was nice meeting you also. gave me a big smile seeing your young son get involved into loading your rig up AWWSOME good lucky with your fishing this year

Took my almost 7 year old out on Sunday morning north end of Seneca.  First time trolling for both of us.  I've jigged there for years and been reading on here about trolling with dipsys.  Fished over 100'-150'.  Mag dipsy (white/green) with spin doctor (white/green) and a-tom-mik fly (white) out up to 275'.  Regular dipsy out various lengths 140-180' with a dreamweaver SS spoon.  Tried two different color spoons.  Not a single release.  What are we doing wrong?  Don't have a kicker, so was running main motor.  GPS said 2.56mph SOG.  Maybe too fast?

post-160037-0-99457200-1460995062_thumb.jpg

post-160037-0-20566600-1460995113_thumb.jpg

Edited by LakerTracker

Took my almost 7 year old out on Sunday morning north end of Seneca.  First time trolling for both of us.  I've jigged there for years and been reading on here about trolling with dipsys.  Fished over 100'-150'.  Mag dipsy (white/green) with spin doctor (white/green) and a-tom-mik fly (white) out up to 275'.  Regular dipsy out various lengths 140-180' with a dreamweaver SS spoon.  Tried two different color spoons.  Not a single release.  What are we doing wrong?  Don't have a kicker, so was running main motor.  GPS said 2.56mph SOG.  Maybe too fast?

attachicon.gif13051768_10207881550090800_2879876548898791800_n.jpg

attachicon.gif 12983353_10207880385341682_340214500258068331_o.jpg

Don't give up keep on trying that speed will get you the fish find those suspended fish over bait and put it down to them. Did u see many marks?? Any bait?? don't be afraid to venture out to deep water those fish don't just stay near shore!!!!!!

Laker Taker, great pic and great dad to get your boy out on the lake. My opinion is location right now. North end is tough right now, as suggested as water warms it should pick up. Things have changed this year. The hole isn't holding them like past years. Shallower seems to show more signs of fish. The speed as also mentioned is fast for lakers, a touch high for salmon. I didn't do well either Sunday. But I couldn't get myself to leave an area that we were in. Lots of guys on here with great info!