Diver Rod Holders

Hi guys,

I'm looking to start running divers in my spread but am concerned about my rod holders.  Before punching new holes in the boat, I would like to run them from my new Mag 10's dual boom rood holder.  Anyone have experience using them on Cannon holders?  Are the plastic holders and swivel bases strong enough to handle the added strain?  Currently running the riggers with 16lb Sharks.

If you are referring to disk divers I would not risk it. You may be able to get away with running the small ones but bigger Dipsy's put a ton of tension on yojr rods especially in rough water. It will be well worth the money to install a set of good rod holders for them, they don't have to be top of the line but make sure they are well made. I would avoid plastic rod holders or the tite-locks. Good Luck!

Fishy is running the tile-lock ones from the railings on both side with no problems.I keep my drag set so even if a tree branch or those nasty sea-fleas gets on line, the line goes out. I am not one of those full time fishermen thou.

The first year I started fishing for salmon with divers I would put the rods in rod holders on my cannon downriggers. The worked well until a salmon hit and tore the holder off the rigger and I watched my dipsy setup quickly dive towards the bottom of lake ontario. I now have Big Jon heavy duty ratcheting rod holders and love them. The price of a set of a dual rod holders is cheaper than the cost of a wire dipsy set up.

Just do it right and get some metal ratcheting rod holders.  I personally run berts on my boat with a 24" track.  Might be expensive at first, but better than losing a wire rod in the drink.

Don't do it! I did it when I first got my boat with the newer style cannons, and lost the the setup! I was fortunate enough to pop the rigger rod and catch the wire on the diver rod with my free sliding cheater and retrieve it. NEVER AGAIN!

I have run scotty holders also and never had an issue. Has anyone had bad luck with the scotty rod holders. We only broke one and that was with 80 pound musky line we were trolling an got a snag and the braid dug into itself due to drag being too tight and that ripped the holder off the boat. Also turned the boat side ways first. I have never had second thought about walleye or salmon trolling. Any bad experiences would be good to know about.

I have heard of guys losing rods in plastic Scotty Rod holders.  Plastic over time gets weak in the elements.  Pay me now or pay me later.  You can buy cheap rod holders and save a buck up front  but you may have to buy new diver set ups when a king rips them off the boat. 

If you already have gimbal holes in your gunwales and are interested in running a couple rods per hole here is what I have used for the past 14 years and they never waver at all with multiple wire setups and dipseys or Multiple leader Seth Green rigs  with 40 oz weights and best of all no extra holes drilled in the boat and they are portable. I have combined two solid rod holders into one unit. The clips are (just in case) safety lines but related to potential clumsiness situation rather than the rod holders :lol:

post-145411-0-77534800-1461066421_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-09342900-1461066435_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Don't go plastic. I have experience with 3 different types before I made the switch to my great lakes planer system. I had some of those nice cabelas ones threw a dipsy rod in her, good thing I was hanging on the rod holder twisted in the base and almost went out the back of the boat. So I bought some scottys thinking better name better quality, yup they were but 2 weeks of heavy use guess what? I heard a crack looked back to see my rod going out into the lake, I caught the butt with 2 fingers and held on for dear life and got her back. 3rd set great lakes planers, this will be my 4th season on them and no issues.

Don't cheap out unless you like buying new gear often.

Chas and the rest of the guys are right about plastic not being durable enough and the Uv rays raise hell with a lot of it too weakening it even further....stainless steel doesn't have that problem :)

For diver rods, I love Down-East Salty's. I like the way they release, just grab the rod and lift straight up...simple. They're not pretty like some are but they're solid and sturdy. And they can be tilted all the way down to put your rod tips in the water when trolling around those floating weed beds while Musky fishing. Best $40.00 I ever spent.

http://down-east.com/website_007.htm

Don't do it! I did it when I first got my boat with the newer style cannons, and lost the the setup! I was fortunate enough to pop the rigger rod and catch the wire on the diver rod with my free sliding cheater and retrieve it. NEVER AGAIN!

I was going to mention to him how you did that when I first went out with you. Believe that was the day we caught the net with the diver when it slipped! haha