Shakedown Run on Cayuga 4/18

Launched out of Treman at 9:30. Looking forward to trying out my new Walleye boards and some new Bay Rats. Went 17 for 19 with two nice browns and the rest were small salmon. All fish came on stick baits. Water temperature was between 46 and 50° with good color long the east shore. One question for everyone, I lost two fish today because the back end of the stick bait broke. The rear section of the stick bait actually split when the fish hit and then suddenly the fish came off. Retrieved the lure and the stick bait was split in the rear and the rear hook was missing. Are these just bad lures being made overseas or is there something I could be doing wrong?

I had the same thing happen on a rapala a few weeks ago (when the water was low) and this happen Sunday. Fish was gone and Lure came back with no hook in the middle. Not sure what to do, it was my opinion before these problems that rapala's were made well...

post-147087-14610356104779_thumb.jpg

I had the same thing happen on a rapala a few weeks ago (when the water was low) and this happen Sunday. Fish was gone and Lure came back with no hook in the middle. Not sure what to do, it was my opinion before these problems that rapala's were made well...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1461035609.984126.jpg

Rapala have never been that great in quality, I have had numerous eyes pull out and bills break off. Never had a hook failure but not surprised the ring let go.

Launched out of Treman at 9:30. Looking forward to trying out my new Walleye boards and some new Bay Rats. Went 17 for 19 with two nice browns and the rest were small salmon. All fish came on stick baits. Water temperature was between 46 and 50° with good color long the east shore. One question for everyone, I lost two fish today because the back end of the stick bait broke. The rear section of the stick bait actually split when the fish hit and then suddenly the fish came off. Retrieved the lure and the stick bait was split in the rear and the rear hook was missing. Are these just bad lures being made overseas or is there something I could be doing wrong?

They are owned by Rapala draw your own conclusions, I have never had a newer Rapala last more than a couple seasons. I run mostly Pre-Rapala Storms, yozuri, Bay Rat, Matzuo, and Smithwick basically everything but Rapala, I stay as far as possible away from Rapala.

Look into the bay rats, they have a very nice wide wobble great for the cold water spring conditions. Once the water starts to warm I switch to Reef Runners that have a tighter wobble.

I have plenty of Thundersticks with the rear hook torn out.  Usually happens in the net.  I like to turn the net upside down and dump em as quick as possible and not let them roll around in it.  quality net helps a lot.  I think the Thundersticks are junk these days. We fished Cayuga Sunday morning out of Finger Lakes Marine on Meyers. Almost the same numbers 20 for 21.  All shaker Salmon but a 17" Brown and a 5lb Laker.

Edited by vogel451