Kicker's etc. for my Penn Yan Avenger

longbow

I am having a debate with myself of having installed a kicker motor vs. an auto pilot.  I run a 24' Penn Yan Avenger, 9.5' beam, and it is heavy.  Brochure says 4100lbs unladen weight. Has a small V8(305) in it currently and currently I use Amish bags to slow it down.  It also has over sized trim tabs on it which when angled fully down slow it even more so I can get down to around 1.8mph over land speed most times if I need too.  I am debating getting a 25" long shaft kicker vs 20" kicker.  9.9hp vs 15hp.  The cost between the kicker and auto pilot is actually about the same.  This is gonna be a one shot deal, either/or.  this vessel has rotary steering too.  

I have also wondered if Panther remote steering can be had for the big motor?  I am retiring in June, and during the week will fish single handed so remote steering or auto pilot is a must.  Let me know your thoughts pros' and cons' etc.  thanks 

My boat is heavy also for its size. The long shaft 9.9 will work great. I have the Yamaha 9.9 high thrust four stroke and it has more power than the 15 Mercury four stroke that I had prior. As for auto pilot you can get Garmin products for kicker.

I have a 20hp Honda, and it pushes my tiara just fine. I believe my weight is mid teens and it works just fine.. A 15 will be perfect for you.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Dennis, I would go with the auto pilot. Can you get an extension for the 15 hp? It would be a lot less than a new motor. Seems like 1.8 mph is plenty slow for the type of fishing we do.

I'm with Fishmaster. All the auto gear in the world won't get you back home on Lake O when the storm comes up and your big motor conks out. Kickers are often a more reliable companion than most of the big motors that we so heavily depend on :lol: and...they can be hand started when power goes.

Edited by Sk8man

Yep wife and I have decided on adding the kicker.  After a debacle with my Pro Line and a rebuilt outboard, the old kicker that was on that boat got us home many times, so kicker it is.  Looking at a Suzuki 15hp, efi model with a 25" shaft.  Any Suzuki dealers around here that folks know of?  thanks

Just as an aside longbow I have 25 inch shafts on both my kicker and my 135 Optimax outboard and it allows me to steer under most conditions with just the big motor while trolling with the 9.9 kicker. Sometimes I have to tilt the kicker slightly right or left but that is it.  I have the EZ steer but haven't needed it. If real windy or rough I use the big motor alone.  I don't know whether it would work the same with your application and boat but before spending a few hundred for steering options I'd give it a try and see.

Yep wife and I have decided on adding the kicker.  After a debacle with my Pro Line and a rebuilt outboard, the old kicker that was on that boat got us home many times, so kicker it is.  Looking at a Suzuki 15hp, efi model with a 25" shaft.  Any Suzuki dealers around here that folks know of?  thanks

Fowler's are listed as a dealer. Leroy island rd. Wolcott side of Sodus Bay

Had the Panther remote steering on my 9.merc pro kicker pushing a 22ft penn yan outrage. Did not like the panther remote steering at all. Came with a new to me boat, took it off half way thru first season with boat and used an ez-steer. Next season put a TR-1 autopilt on kicker been very happy. Previous boat I also had a Tr-1autopilot in a 24ft Lund and was very 
 happy. We like trolling with a 4stroke kicker an we love the TR-1 autopilot!!! Its like an xtra person on boat who's job is to drive and they never complain!!! Great slow speed controll. It definitely puts fish in the boat!!!