fishing with a 17' deep v tracker 50hp

Is this boat big enough to go to lake ontario? i fish cayuga lake with it with no problems ? I understand I will not attempt it with high winds, don't have the confidence nor the experience to attempt it. but are there many boats like this on this lake ? Thank you for any feed back,All would be appreciated. THANKS !!!!!!

This is a pretty common question on here and basically the answer comes down to "you have to pick your days and weather conditions carefully and don't take unnecessary chances if you go" such as going way off shore. Also check out the US Coast Guard Great Lakes regs and make sure you are in safety compliance before going out. I used to do it for years in a 13 ft. Whaler but I was  a lot younger and more foolish then (if that is possible :lol: ) and would not press my luck weather wise knowing what I do now.

Edited by Sk8man

I have a 17' lund fisherman and have fished lake o and erie a bunch out of it. I also have a 26' Penn Yan. my process is the same no matter which boat i am using. keep an eye on the wind and wave forecasts from NOAA, check 3 different wx apps on phone, look out the window, and look at shore line photos from my wx apps. Winds can change fast out there so you have to be observant if winds do start to change. I like seeing south components to the wind as it usually means calmer seas. personally i am more leary of west, north, and east winds that are predicted in the 10 mph plus range. usually it is blowin more than predicted and those winds will kick up the south shore. I rec a marine radio too for added safety in case u lose cell service. good luck!

i check the marine weather forecast and look at radar  before i go out 1 ft or less can turn to 3 ft or better in a hurry with wind change try to schedule your trips on south wind days less than 10 mph and you will be fine your boat will handle 3 to 4 fters but why get beat up respect the lake she can be nasty when i was younger i spent 13 hrs bouncing in the waves with a over turned boat but with age comes wisdom if it feels risky dont do it . i was out on the lake 2 times this week in a 16 ft deep v

Just be a safe boater and fisherman...check the weather ! Make sure you have all coast guard approved safety equipment...and a very good marine radio,just for safe keeping,and of course a good charged up cell phone in a water proof bag ! good luck fishing....

Used to fish the lake in a 16 ft deep V Four Winns. Not a problem as long as waves were in the 1-3 ft range.  But that varies on the wind direction.  If west or northwest, waves have more or a roll to them.   If east/northeast, the waves get real choppy/sloppy. As everyone else said, you have to keep an eye on the weather/wind/wave forecasts but they are not always accurate.  Listen to hourly reports on the weather radio where the wind direction and speed are usually given for Olcott, Wilson, Oswego and sometimes port of Rochester.  And winds inland versus what's happening on the lake can be very different.  Sometimes better/sometimes worse.I can remember days being at the launch in Braddock Bay with no wind yet only a 1/4 to 1/2 mile away on the lake the winds were blowing with white caps on the lake. - Mr Kato

18' deep V Tracker here.    Awesome on the lake.   Rides comfortably on bigger rollers, and really stable.    I draw the line at 2' plus however, as 

it's just no fun when it's that rough, but I'm guessing the boat would ride them out if needed.

Thank You to all that  responded the information I received is very helpful, use common sense at all times. THANKS AGAIN ....

I have the same boat and go there each year. Though I tend to fish within sight of shore and watch the weather.

best thing I did  I invested in a  Fixed Mount VHF Radio keep in tuch weather forcast  was 129$  west marine didn't buy the cheapest ore the most expensive hers myboat also a 17  footer with a 90 hp good idea also have a kicker plus electric mortor  never have to row  your  butt to shore :poolparty:

post-159772-0-82968400-1462146151_thumb.jpg