New to LOU and need some advice

I am recently a new member to this site. Will be fishing from the Bronte Outer Harbour this year. Purchased a 24 Ft Grady White with a 250 Yamaha and 9.9 Yamaha. The kicker can be steered from the helm via a mechanical arm attached to the main engine. I would like to add an autopilot, but am not very familiar. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat

I fished the lake for 5 years without an autopilot than got a new boat that had one won't ever look back. Not sure how I survived without one.

One on my boat is a simrod. Works great but only one I've have ever had thu. Forgot the brand on my buddies but his works just as good. I would have a marina install it thu. Unless ur good at that stuff.

Just my two cents.

Main engine. I know a lot of guys are going wt the remote control types now. Mine is an older style that doesn't have that.

If your getting a new one make sure you go that route. Steer the boat from anywhere...

I have hydraulic steering to my main engine and a bar to the kicker. My mechanic is suggesting autopilot directly to the kicker and has recommended a T4 Panther system. The potential concern is that based on the size and weight of my boat, that system may not react fast enough. I am certainly open to any additional ideas and suggestions, based on my limited knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat

If you want to have the auto pilot on just the kicker so you don't need the connector arm then I would go with a Garmin TR-1 Gold. You are correct, with that size boat a T9.9 kicker is going to have to be very active to hold a course in any kind of wind or current. The auto pilot almost needs to anticipate the needed course corrections to keep up and I don't think the T4 will do it. I'm running a TR-1 with a T9.9 kicker on a 25' Penn Yan and feel the TR-1 is what makes it work.

With hydraulic steering you can install an auto pilot on your main for about the same money as what the TR-1 will cost and with the connector arm the auto pilot would work with both motors. This is what I would have done except I have rotary cable steering on my Penn Yan and would have had to convert to hydraulic steering. Garmin, Simrad and Raymarine all make good systems so I would pick one based on what other electronics you have on the boat and what dealers are available in your area.

Either way will cost you a lot more than the T4 system but it would be well worth the expense when you're on the water.