trailering with the kicker motor on the bracket.

tim

Just got a great deal on a leftover 15hp mercury 4 stroke electric start. ordered a bracket for my Islander rated for 15 hp and 40 lbs more than the motor weighs. Small print on the motor bracket. Trailering with outboard mouned on th bracket not reccomended.I can't take it off every time i want to trailer it. It's an expensive, brand name prouct. Any Ideas? Can I just brace the motor from underneath?

I had my new Mercury 9.9 drag down the interstate when  the bracket broke luckily it only wore the scag and the prop I heard it dragging in time. When I went to buy new bracket all the manufacturers told me do not trailer with motor on I ended up mounting it right on transom and using a saver on bottom so far its worked out well.

I trailered mine for years with a big heavy 4 stroke. I used a ratchet strap around the motor and went up to a downrigger base or a cleat. I would ratchet it up tight so the bracket didn't bounce or have any movement. Never once had a problem.

Total Chaos

I use one of the stainless panther mounts and take it off every time. I don't know if I need too but is a nice peace of mind knowing it isn't bouncing around or skidding down the road.

I have been using a ratchet strap for 20 years with a 15 hp Evenriude 4 stroke on a Garelick bracket. I wrap it around the rear cleat, around the kicker motor shaft, through the tow ring between the two motors, back around the kicker motor shaft to the ratchet. When I cinch it down, it removes all play from the motor bracket and the motor. I have an EZ Steer attached to the motor and since I have it's horizontal friction screw backed off to allow it to swing freely, I use a heavy rubber bungee cord hooked from the EZ Steer to the trailer to keep the motor from swinging horizontally. I also have had a knee brace added inside the transom to reinforce the transom behind the kicker. This is on an aluminum boat, 18 ft.