Seneca gang hook

I tend to lean the way Ray does.  I`ve been trying these (to me) newfangled techniques; lead core, wire w/dipseys, downriggers, and it`s a real PITA for me.   I find I have lures out of the water more than in clearing lines, reeling in 5000 feet of leadcore, etc.  Besides catching something, man it`s nice to just sit back, have a cup of coffee and enjoy the day. Put two rods out, sit back, play cards or read, and wait for the big one.  Now that`s fishing in my book. :)

Honestly, start using jigs.. Dirt cheap, and even on a slow day you'll get a few fish if you fish the marks.. On a good day, you might hook 2 dozen or more, all using a one handed bass sized rod 10 pound test...
 Few weeks ago an old timer that knew his stuff showed me some pics of his impressive catches... When he showed me his rig, I lost all interest.. A tuna rod as thick around as a cue stick, and a window sash weight at the business end of his meat rig.. He told me he was a meat fisherman, and didn't care about the sporting aspect   that much, he  just wanted fish flesh  and lots of it.
 Thats all good i suppose,  but I prefer a bit lighter and less troublesome type of fishing experience..  If gang hooks with salted  sawbellies, , cowbells,wire dipseys, meat rigs, electric downriggers, live sawbellies etc, are mandatory for  catching FL trout, I will get a bobber and worm and fish for bluegills,  it would be a lot more fun... bob

Edited by bulletbob

Back in the 70's I used to bounce cowbells off the bottom with monel wire, 2-3' leader and live suckers. With a very long baiting needle, I'd tie one end of the leader to the needle and a double hook on the other end. I'd insert the needle into the sucker's anal cavity up through the body and out of the mouth, then tuck the shaft of the double hook inside the suckers body so only the two hooks were exposed.

PS Bob. That Penn 309 I got from you? Loaded with 90 lb. wire, ready for bear..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Enjoy it in good heath hop.. That was a nice reel, I just would never have used it.. Too big for jigging lakers, too slow for salt water, and I don't troll with wire!..  lol.. bob

Been tying these forever.  Great way to use old bait.  We freeze what comes back from trips and these rigs are just the ticket for getting new life out of dead sawbellies.  I will add that we run a small Colorado spinner blade up at the top of the stack of beads.  Adds almost nothing to the cost and I think it make s difference in attraction.  Either way, yes, they work great.  Our stinger is not in the tail of the bait BTW.  It is trailing about a half inch behind the bait.  I think we grab a few nippers this way.