Distance back for Browns

Will be heading out of Fair Haven next weekend looking for some Browns. How far back from boards do you guys run stick baits?? We will probably run 2 stick baits line out each side and spoons on the riggers, all on mono. Secondly if they are hitting spoons, what's the setup for spoon on the boards?? Any information is greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I run the outside rod, right down the to the board 75-100 feet out then I run the inside rod about 50-60 feet midway down the planer board line. As far as spoons that depends on the size of your spoons and on how deep you are fishing. if you are in shallow you wont need anything but the weight of the spoon sometimes. if your running deeper then a split shot added to the line will be enough to get it down. I sometimes will use my down riggers set 4 feet down in shallow and run small stinger spoons off the ball 50 feet back

Edited by bobbyg470

Really appreciate the information!!! That's about what we run at, even on our locate lakes. We only make a trip or 2 a year, wish it was more! I was just wondering because about 3 years ago now I had major boat problems (fire) at the launch. A local guy was kind enough to offer us to go out with him the next morning!! Which was totally awesome!! And we did. He was running outside lure back 250ft. and stepping them by 50ft. So I was just wondering what everyone else does. I have to say too, that everyone that we talked to the morning of the boat troubles was just awesome! Sportsmanship at its finest!! Thanks again everyone! Fish On!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

To people who stagger off boards

What happens when the outside Rod fires? And you reset it and slide the other two down? It like you are continuing to shorten your spread

I run mine all back 125

Agreed.

My rule of thumb is if my DR ball is really visible down 5' then 125-175' back, and get them boards out wide. If its kinda visible down 5' then 80-115'. Can't see the ball then you can run them as close as 50'.

How does the split shot deal work when it's 60ft from the spoon? Take it off every time you crank your line in?

Yes you just take it off like a church board. Great technique for catching monster browns just on the outside of the white water.

I'm still trying to figure out how a split shot placed 60 foot from the spoon does anything as far as the spoon action or depth.....I'm thinking that just the placement of the lure at that distance is responsible for the result rather than the split shot.

I can't tell you the exact reason that it works but it does. Its a tip that I picked up from a guy in Mexico bay and it usually takes the bigger fish for me.

X2

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Interesting....only thing I can think of is that it puts a slight downward pressure on the lure from the dip in the line (at the shot) and makes it swim erratically.

Edited by Sk8man

We ran a 1 color lead core last weekend in the side of the prop wash and had a real nice fish take it.  We lost it at the boat, but the rig worked. If you get inside of 10 fow might be a little tight though due to the sink rate on the inside turn.  I rigged it up so I didn't have to mess with taking off a split shot while fighting a fish. 

Will probably try the weight rod this weekend though, and I would think having the weight a little farther away from the spoon would be beneficial when trying to land the fish, rather than trying to do it with a fired up fish in the prop wash.

Sunday we went out for a short trip and 1 color flatline took majority of fish ...split shots and spoons off big boards didn't take one fish ..and riggers only took one or two fish ... last weekend it was spoons and spilt shots off the boards so who knows ...start with everything and switch it out as you see what fires

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by minion