Fished south of the bridge trolling the outside of Devils Cove. 10 to 30 FOW. Went 2 for 2 in about an hr on the water. The largest Northern of my season yet, came just as we round the most southern island near the Cove.

34 inches - 8 1/2 - 9 pounds, didn't get an exact weight. Nice fish. Picked him up on a black and silver x-rap.

aVTHlv9.jpg

Nice! I went out last night for a few hours, trolling right where you're saying (Held's Cove), and nadda! Marked plenty in the 15 - 18 range, just couldn't hook 'em. Water temp is 73 already, so next night out we'll run deeper I think. We got a small bucket on the other side so at least we weren't skunked ;)

I'll be heading down there tomorrow after work, so I'll be sure to share any new news on where they are or aren't biting. Earlier this month I had a pretty good day at the south end in about 25 FOW trolling size 18 rapalas, 4 for 5, there are some spotty weed beds down there that are pretty deep and seem to hold a few fish. One thing that is really been freaking me out is that these northerns have mostly been all banged up. Lots of what appear to be big teeth marks around the lower part of the fish near the tail. It makes me wonder if there are some real monsters in there right now or if they've been caught and torn up by other fisherman.

Oh you bet there are musky out there. About 6 years ago, I ve seen one swimming with its head above the water right inside the inlet channel. When I first saw it, I thought it was a huge log of wood floating but it turned out to be huge musky! This monster was easily over 50" and its body was as wide as three baseball bats combined together. I circled it twice with my jet ski before it decided to dive under and disappear. Unreal!

Well, went out to I-Bay last night. Was very busy at the south end and we had a hard time trolling the shoreline with all the pleasure cruisers out. Ended up with no pike and 1 bass, decent size although as I got him up to the boat he jumped out of the water a good 2 feet and threw the hook. I'm going to chalk that trip up to heavy traffic. Will be heading to NC and SC for the 4th so I'll be doing some salt water and brackish water fishing over the trip, I'm sure to have some pictures, which I'll post.

I'll be heading down there tomorrow after work, so I'll be sure to share any new news on where they are or aren't biting. Earlier this month I had a pretty good day at the south end in about 25 FOW trolling size 18 rapalas, 4 for 5, there are some spotty weed beds down there that are pretty deep and seem to hold a few fish. One thing that is really been freaking me out is that these northerns have mostly been all banged up. Lots of what appear to be big teeth marks around the lower part of the fish near the tail. It makes me wonder if there are some real monsters in there right now or if they've been caught and torn up by other fisherman.

I have seen these marks myself. Reminded me of lamprey marks on salmon.

I'm not sure of the exact markings you're talking about, but I do know that a lot of the muskies that were caught last weekend for the opener had pretty fresh 'battle wounds' on them too. turns out these are from the mating ritual. I imagine the same would hold true for pike too, the only difference is that the pike would have spawned earlier so I wouldn't think they would be too fresh now.